General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2010 Mustang V6 Convertible - 60K Service

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 03:15 PM
Uncle Pete

Default 2010 Mustang V6 Convertible - 60K Service

The local dealer has quoted $1150 for this service.

When I look at the maintenance schedule (items to be done), I'm even more confused as it does not appear that it should be anywhere near that amount.

Has anyone had the 60K service done?

And what was the approximate cost?

Thanks in advance!

Uncle Pete
Attached Thumbnails 2010 Mustang V6 Convertible - 60K Service-ford-service-60k.jpg  
Old 11-21-2016, 03:32 PM
Choppertwo
3rd Gear Member

damn Pete, that sounds high, might want to check out another dealership
Old 11-21-2016, 07:14 PM
JimC

At that price there is a "lube" missing from the list!

$1,150 is WAY to high for that. Essentially it is an oil change, a filter or two, and the fuel filter. The fuel filter is not that tough to do on a 2010.

Some of the 'inspection' things that they list separate are already part of the "multi-point" inspection that they would do if you took the car in for an oil change anyway. The air filter, cabin filter, and fuel filter are not that expensive or difficult.

Last edited by JimC; 11-22-2016 at 06:55 AM.
Old 11-21-2016, 07:34 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Wow, $1150 for less than $100 worth of stuff (retail, not their price) and about an hour worth of actual labor.

Don't go there again. Ever.

I see you're in CA. If Los Angeles/OC/Inland Empire area, just out of curiousity which dealership was it?
Old 11-21-2016, 10:06 PM
Uncle Pete

Default 2010 Mustang V6 Convertible - 60K Service

It sounds like other things listed on the Ford Maintenance Schedule (inspect this, inspect that) are not needed at the 60K service?
Old 11-22-2016, 10:20 AM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Uncle Pete
It sounds like other things listed on the Ford Maintenance Schedule (inspect this, inspect that) are not needed at the 60K service?
Basically every inspection item on that list is pretty routine any time you take your car in anywhere. For example, if you have new tires installed at Pep Boys or whatever, they're gonna look over most of those things like brakes etc and advise you of anything that should be repaired/replaced either immediately or at some point in the not too distant future. And they would charge nothing extra for the inspection because it serves as a way for them to potentially increase their sale to you.

Unless we're missing something here, that place you went is attempting to give you a pretty good bath.
Old 11-22-2016, 10:49 AM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

The specific recommendations for every vehicle are different, but a typical 60K or other such milestone service typically (in addition to those routine inspection items) tends to focus more on fluid changes or flushes - oil of course, transmission, differential, coolant, power steering, brake etc. Aside from oil, I don't see any of those items on your list.

Even if those fluid changes/flushes were on the list, that's still a ridiculous price. What would be a reasonable price for those things? I dunno because I diy all that sort of stuff but would venture to guess that an independent shop would charge somewhere in the $400-$500 range mostly just due to labor.
Old 11-22-2016, 12:57 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Yikes, you can do most of that yourself for about $100 total plus your time.

Just go to Rock Auto and pick up all the filters there, a jug of Mobile one or Castrol Ful Syn oil 5w-30 (or Ford semi syn 5w-30) at wally world, and take a couple of hours on a Saturday or Sunday and be done with it!

Rock auto will have all Motorcraft stuff available at prices way better than a dealer. For what the dealer charges for a basic OEM semi-syn oil change, I can do with a top of the line filter w/full synthetic oil and still have money left over to buy a fuel filter or air filter.

Are you a manual transmission or automatic?

Also, suspension on these cars are sealed, non-lube (sealed) type components. The only thing that MAY be lubed are the u-joints but even those I think are sealed.

I still go to the dealer for some things (flushing the automatic) but most else, I just do myself. You're paying them for their overhead.

Hmm, I noticed as usual ford fails to mention Brake Fluid. That should be done every 2-3 years. Your coolant every 3 years or 50K.

For the brakes, I use a Motive brake fluid flush tank with the right master cylinder adapter. If you don't want to pay the price of the Motive you can make your own for about $20 bucks. I did just for fun. Don't try to make your own master cylinder adapters though. I tried that and ended up with brake fluid all over the place when the cap blew off while I was trying it. Luckily I had everything covered because It was an experiment

Last edited by Derf00; 11-22-2016 at 01:03 PM.