General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

PoT Tunes: AFR

Old 12-17-2016, 09:10 PM
SXGT
5th Gear Member

Default PoT Tunes: AFR

OK first let me say I am asking this question here and not in the tune section because I dont want an answer from a sponsor trying to sell me a product.

Can a tune/programmer adjust your partial open throttle Air to Fuel ratio to improve MPG or can it only adjust Wide Open Throttle settings?

Also what can a programmer possibly do to make shifts faster? I thought it could only adjust the shift point not the stall speed or actual mechanical speed of the shift.

Some people told me to send off my ECU for a tune so my tranny will shift faster and I can get better MPG but I remember having my Programmer for my 01 GT and I was pretty sure I need Specialized equipment to adjust real world MPG and AFR.

SO whats the scoop ?
Old 12-18-2016, 10:30 AM
1 Alibi 2
3rd Gear Member

A skilled tuner can adjust everything about your car...( except delete TPMS )
Not sure you can get what you want done through e-mail..
Old 12-20-2016, 11:10 PM
SXGT
5th Gear Member

isnt the trans stall a mechanical value? What about the ECU can make it faster?
Old 12-21-2016, 02:15 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by SXGT
OK first let me say I am asking this question here and not in the tune section because I dont want an answer from a sponsor trying to sell me a product.

Can a tune/programmer adjust your partial open throttle Air to Fuel ratio to improve MPG or can it only adjust Wide Open Throttle settings?

Also what can a programmer possibly do to make shifts faster? I thought it could only adjust the shift point not the stall speed or actual mechanical speed of the shift.

Some people told me to send off my ECU for a tune so my tranny will shift faster and I can get better MPG but I remember having my Programmer for my 01 GT and I was pretty sure I need Specialized equipment to adjust real world MPG and AFR.

SO whats the scoop ?
Are you talking about throttle tip-in? The ratio at which you push the gas pedal compared to the ratio the throttle body opens/trims the fuel or are you talking about the actual A/F ratio?

Yes to the first part, maybe on the second. The second part would require fine tuning the fuel table down to the 100's of RPM's. Most handheld turners won't allow that. They typically tune the A/F in swaths from 0-2000, 2001-4000, and 4001-6000 RPM. You would need a dyno tune to get the A/F just right down to 100's of RPMS or a very good understanding of a wideband O2 sensor and ECU programming software.
Old 12-21-2016, 10:31 PM
SXGT
5th Gear Member

are you speaking for Mustangs or cars in general.

A guy on the Mitsubishi forums has a monopoly on programming the ECUs. Claims better MPG and faster shifts. I am skeptical that its possible considering that Diablo sport has never made a ECO tune for any car.

Search this Thread