General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Wheel Spacers?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 06:31 PM
Jubin1

Default Wheel Spacers?

What are your all thoughts on wheel spacers? I think it would look cool to have my tires flush with the fenders and have a wider wheelbase, but why are they so damn expensive. I mean $143 - $200 for some metal discs? How hard could it be to fabricate a pair of your own?
Old 10-25-2005, 06:52 PM
closer9
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Wheel Spacers?

I had a set on mine for several months with no problems. Definately helped the looks... Only took them off, because I got wider wheels...

If you need a set I've got some hubcentric ones for sale now...
Old 10-25-2005, 10:45 PM
Jubin1

thanks but my wheels are 4 lug. right now drilling some holes in a 1" thick circle of plywood is sounding pretty economical any feedback on that? sounds crazy enough to work
Old 10-25-2005, 10:53 PM
TattooTears
4th Gear Member

I don't know about the wood thing, but in general it definitely has a better look with either spacers or a wider rim. Gives it a much better look from the back.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:57 PM
Jubin1

thats the side most people see right? maybe instead of wood, layers of sheet metal or a thick piece of tough plastic
Old 10-26-2005, 01:37 AM
Lex8109
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jubin1

thanks but my wheels are 4 lug. right now drilling some holes in a 1" thick circle of plywood is sounding pretty economical any feedback on that? sounds crazy enough to work
If you ask me, using wood anywhere in your suspension is not a good idea. Wheelspacers def. improve the look a lot but I am waiting until I get my 18x10 in the back and see if I still want them then.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:28 AM
TattooTears
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Lex8109

If you ask me, using wood anywhere in your suspension is not a good idea. Wheelspacers def. improve the look a lot but I am waiting until I get my 18x10 in the back and see if I still want them then.
Those 10" wheels should give you a very nice look in the back, I seriously doubt you will want spacers after putting those on your car.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:22 AM
closer9
2nd Gear Member

DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT use wood or anything else. If you can't come up with the funds for a set you don't need them.

You might talk to a machine shop about making you a set, and setting the studs yourself, but you probably wouldn't save much if any... But just a few thousandths thicker on one side will give you a nasty wheel wobble, which will only lead to worse things...
Old 10-26-2005, 01:58 PM
Jubin1

thanks everyone, i now realized my stupidity. instead of buying some spacers for $150-200, i'll save it and put it towards some wider rims and tires. any idea how wide a rim you can fit in the back of a '90 GT without messing with the fender walls or anything
Old 10-26-2005, 04:14 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

ORIGINAL: closer9

DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT use wood or anything else. If you can't come up with the funds for a set you don't need them.

You might talk to a machine shop about making you a set, and setting the studs yourself, but you probably wouldn't save much if any... But just a few thousandths thicker on one side will give you a nasty wheel wobble, which will only lead to worse things...
+1

Quick Reply: Wheel Spacers?