General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Pinion bearing grenaded! Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 09:39 PM
07gtxcs

Default Pinion bearing grenaded! Question

Ok so I've done a couple (Chevy)rear difs, and pinion literally popped out with a tap. I'm looking at this one and appears the bearing welded itself. Drove 4 miles in the morning and bearing is jacked up. So I bought a pinion ring and gear kit with installl kit, so I don't care about the pinion. I've been beating on it till the shaft flattened like a mushroom. I'm going to get my tanks filled tomorrow and try some heat.
Am I missing something?
07 gt-cs
Old 01-12-2017, 09:51 PM
07gtxcs

Here is a pic
https://mustangforums.com/g/album/6869580
Old 01-13-2017, 12:43 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

I can't see that that sticking in there like that unless something is holding it from the other side....

Anyways, here a vid of the mustang rear end so you can familiarize yourself with it better. It's not perfect by any means and in my opinion makes some pretty rookie mistakes/oversights but it gives you a good overview.

Last edited by Derf00; 01-13-2017 at 12:56 PM.
Old 01-13-2017, 04:36 PM
07gtxcs

Originally Posted by Derf00
I can't see that that sticking in there like that unless something is holding it from the other side....

Anyways, here a vid of the mustang rear end so you can familiarize yourself with it better. It's not perfect by any means and in my opinion makes some pretty rookie mistakes/oversights but it gives you a good overview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mK7Pc8Ig7A
Yeah I watched that video already, seems like the outer pinion bearing welded itself from heat load to the pinion. The bearing is still in there mangled.