General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Computer replace question

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 06:35 AM
Daleford
2nd Gear Member

Default Computer replace question

My 2011 GT engine computer got wet and I need to replace. The part number on the computer was BR3A-12A650-AXD.
I ordered one from a LKQ Salvage yard in Texas after I gave them the above number.
They sent me one with part number BR3A-12A650-AXC.
Are they dumb and made a mistake? Or do they know something that I don't know, and this will work fine?

Appreciate a knowledgeable answer as I am booked for the swap at the local Ford dealer first of the week.
Old 05-30-2017, 11:45 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Sorry I can't help, but what did the salvage yard say. They may know what's compatible and what's not. Otherwise, only a Ford dealership may know.

Good luck
Old 05-30-2017, 04:06 PM
Daleford
2nd Gear Member

The salvage yard says the 2 are compatible. They say they get their info from a Hollanger book that initially comes from Ford. Heading for the Ford dealer tomorrow on a trailer so we will find out I guess.

Hoping there would be a Ford teckie here that could say for sure.........
Old 05-30-2017, 04:56 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Daleford
My 2011 GT engine computer got wet and I need to replace. The part number on the computer was BR3A-12A650-AXD.
I ordered one from a LKQ Salvage yard in Texas after I gave them the above number.
They sent me one with part number BR3A-12A650-AXC.
Are they dumb and made a mistake? Or do they know something that I don't know, and this will work fine?

Appreciate a knowledgeable answer as I am booked for the swap at the local Ford dealer first of the week.
The last characters in a ford part number are most often the revision number. AXD is newer than AXC. With electronics it's usually a difference in firmware (which the dealer can typically program) and it will then be equivalent to an AXD version once they reprogram it with the latest firmware.

The only way to truly know in any case though is to check with the dealer before you go in.
Old 06-03-2017, 11:10 AM
Daleford
2nd Gear Member

We never got to a point at the dealer where we found out if this new computer would work. The car had been worked on the rear due to a collision and a ground wire for the fuel pump driver was not connected. All fixed.
Old 06-04-2017, 08:02 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Daleford
We never got to a point at the dealer where we found out if this new computer would work. The car had been worked on the rear due to a collision and a ground wire for the fuel pump driver was not connected. All fixed.
This is why I am never quick to assume a PCM problem. 99% of the time is somthing very simple that is overlooked.