General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Car wont start, clicks once then loses all power

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 12:05 PM
bdl1127

Default Car wont start, clicks once then loses all power

All, having some issues getting my 2003 GT started. This is an issue that started a few months back and progressively got worse to the point where it wont start.

When I get into my car and put the key into the ACC position, everything lights up, fans operate, etc just fine. Then when I try to start the car, I get 1 or no clicks, followed by a complete power down of the car. Even in the ACC position, nothing is powered on. No dashboard lights, fans, etc.

Several months ago when this issue first started occurring, I would pop the hood, disconnect the battery, and get right back into the car to attempt to fire it up again and it would usually take 1-2 times of disconnecting a reconnecting the battery to get it started. Now, the car wont start at all.

I have replaced the corroded battery terminal connectors and the battery is healthy. I do not think it is an anti-theft issue because the light does not flash at all. I also do not believe it is the alternator because the car used to start when I first started getting these symptoms. Any help is appreciated
Old 08-22-2017, 02:19 PM
Coosawjack
2nd Gear Member

Put a voltmeter on the battery and see what it reads when ya hit the starter......I'll bet the battery is weak or has a bad cell.......computer cars DO NOT like low voltage!!
Old 08-23-2017, 06:47 AM
bdl1127

Originally Posted by Coosawjack
Put a voltmeter on the battery and see what it reads when ya hit the starter......I'll bet the battery is weak or has a bad cell.......computer cars DO NOT like low voltage!!

I have already used a multimeter and am getting over 12.5 volts. Coukd there still be another issue with the battery? Could always take it in for a free battery test
Old 08-23-2017, 07:12 AM
Coosawjack
2nd Gear Member

If the voltage drops too far the "puter" shuts the starter off to prevent damaging the starter motor!! If I were you I'd take the battery and have it "Load Tested" so you will know for sure your battery is good....or bad!!
Old 08-23-2017, 02:04 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by bdl1127
I have already used a multimeter and am getting over 12.5 volts. Coukd there still be another issue with the battery? Could always take it in for a free battery test
so 12.5v when you're trying to start the car or just sitting there before you try to crank it?
Old 08-24-2017, 08:53 PM
ucinn
3rd Gear Member

I'm betting the battery also, bad cell. You should read around 12 when cranking.. I bet you will see a drop to about 1-5 when cranking.