General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rear Shock Removal - There must be a trick

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 02:28 PM
Need New One

Question Rear Shock Removal - There must be a trick

Changing the rear shocks on my 06 GT. Never done this before so I did my you tube review, seems simple enough. But with me, nothing is simple. I cannot get the nut on the top of the shock in the trunk broke loose. I started with a 7MM open end wrench, some liquid wrench, and a 15 MM wrench for the nut itself. I started to round of the "bolt" end of the shock. I used a file and flattened it out so now a 6 MM fits nice and tight. What is the trick? I tried with the wheels on the garage floor, with the rear-end lifted, nothing. I cannot break it loose. I am thinking loosening the bolt holding the bottom of the shock but don't see how that would make a difference. Any suggestions would be appreciated as I don't want to round off the top end of the old shocks. Thanks.
Old 11-18-2017, 03:13 PM
JimC

You have to put a wrench on the lower part first to hold the stem and keep it from spinning as I recall. Then use a wrench on the nut to get it off. Been awhile since I did it.
Old 11-18-2017, 04:55 PM
Need New One

Can't visualize what you are saying JimC. Do you mean where the lower end of the shock is connected, near the wheel? Vise Grips? Please clarify. When I watch it on youtube. A guy used a 7MM on the very top and a 15 MM on the nut (in the trunk) and it just broke loose. But I think maybe he unbolted the bottom connected. Let me review.
Old 11-18-2017, 05:12 PM
imp
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Need New One
Can't visualize what you are saying JimC. Do you mean where the lower end of the shock is connected, near the wheel? Vise Grips? Please clarify. When I watch it on youtube. A guy used a 7MM on the very top and a 15 MM on the nut (in the trunk) and it just broke loose. But I think maybe he unbolted the bottom connected. Let me review.
Don't remember if the spring surrounds the shock itself, but often I've held the body of the shock with a pipe wrench, near the top where it won't crush too much (yer throwin it away, anyhow). Just thinkin.
Old 11-18-2017, 09:06 PM
JimC

Originally Posted by Need New One
Two wrenches at the top. You have it from what you saw. One to hold the rod from turning and one to turn the nut off. You don't do it at the wheel - you couldn't hold the a wrench down there and also turn the nut at the top.
Old 11-19-2017, 06:08 AM
Need New One

Problem solved: Impact wrench.

I probably couldn't figure out how to cross the street if YouTube ever shut down.
Old 11-19-2017, 06:48 PM
Need New One

Lessons learned: (If everyone else already knew this, cool, I did not).

1. Liquid wrench is your friend
2. If you don't own a compressor and impact gun, get one of each
3. Do not use an extension on your impact gun if it is not absolutely necessary. Torque loss with use of an extension.

Again, maybe I am on the only one that did not know these things, just sharing in case there are others like me.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:46 PM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

Default Rear Shock Removal-There must be a trick

Need New One, I know IMP is gonna love this one. Because of my "old school" approach to solving problems, a trick I learned, when circle track racing, was to add to your list, a number 4. Always have a heat wrench,aka cutting torch, at the ready. Seriously, glad you got it out with no issues.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:49 PM
imp
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Buck Sergeant
Need New One, I know IMP is gonna love this one. Because of my "old school" approach to solving problems, a trick I learned, when circle track racing, was to add to your list, a number 4. Always have a heat wrench,aka cutting torch, at the ready. Seriously, glad you got it out with no issues.
Works. But catches those rubber biscuits on fire. The stink bothers my sinuses, having breathed way to much rubber smoke in my lifetime! imp
Old 11-21-2017, 06:49 AM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

Default Rear Shock Removal-There must be a trick

IMP, you got me laughing old buddy. You reminded me of the time I was lightening my, FX, HEMI powered 65 Plymouth Belvedere 2, and caught the fuel line on fire. None of my pit crew would let me handle a torch after that.