General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Front Runners?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 05:32 PM
ewmohr

Default Front Runners?

Ok, need a little help here ladies and gents. Looking to get some front runners for my 2012 GT Auto. Not sure if I should get 17x4.5 or 17x7. Since I foot brake, I had concerns about the the front end plowing through the beams with the smaller wheel. Right now on the stock Pirellis (235s) I can rev to 1750. I figured less tire would mean I would have to launch lower. Had some concerns about breaking too with the smaller wheel. (I run 1/4 at my track.) However, I also understand the smaller wheels are supposed to yield lower ETs. Long term plans are for a torque converter and a positive displacement blower. Any thoughts? On a related note, I do drive to the track.
Old 12-07-2017, 03:30 PM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

Default Front Runners?

ewmohr, Presently I am running Continental Contisport Contact , 235/45ZR19 Extra Load,6.5" tread width shoes up front, on my 2014 GT Premium. I love them. For your set up, I would go with the 17x7 fronts if you do a lot of daily driving. I have the M&H Racemaster #MSS024, 17x4.5 on my 67 foxbody, and it can get scary in bad weather. The smaller wheel/rim diameter is more critical when setting up your rear shoes.You alluded to the real key element here. Go to Circle-D, or who anyone else convinces you to go to and get a 3200 stall converter. I have a 3800 stall but my Psychiatrist keeps telling me I am crazy. Change the stall converter and watch your 60 footers go down.