General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2018 gauge & ambient lighting issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 09:31 PM
jefranks

Default 2018 gauge & ambient lighting issue

Have a new 2018 GT Premium convertible with the 401A package, which gives me the new virtual digital gauge cluster. I can successfully change the primary, secondary and ambeient lighting colors. (I have not yet used any of the “my color” options.) However, soon after (sometimes the very next time I enter the car) the lighting reverts back to the default colors. Have talked to Ford support as well as the dealer. Noone seems to know what’s going on.

Anyone else have this issue, or have a suggestion on a solution?

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:31 AM
GT Nate
2nd Gear Member

Checked your manual? It may be you have to select them, then exit out of that area for the saved colors to keep?

I need to do my color stuff too!
Old 02-03-2018, 07:53 AM
jefranks

GT Nate - Yep, read the manual many times. Downloaded an electronic copy of the manual so I could do a word search to insure I did not miss anything with the paper copy. Viewed the official Ford online video many times. Looked at several YouTube videos as well. Talked to Ford customer support. Had the dealer take a quick look just yesterday afternoon. The next time I got in the car (to go to dinner last night), the colors had again reverted to the defaults. Last night when I got home, I changed them again and did a "My Mode" save. I will be surprised if that works because there is simply no indication in any documentation that this is necessary since you do not have to use My Mode at all. However, there is no other "save" feature anywhere. The documentation, including the official Ford online video, just says and shows that you need to make the desired changes and "back out."

Will keep trying and hopefully the Ford dealer will contact someone at Ford that is higher up the food chain. As he said yesterday, the new Mustang instrument cluster is new to everyone. Thanks for your help.

PS - Love my new Mustang!!!
Old 02-11-2018, 05:11 PM
5point_slow

Originally Posted by jefranks
GT Nate - Yep, read the manual many times. Downloaded an electronic copy of the manual so I could do a word search to insure I did not miss anything with the paper copy. Viewed the official Ford online video many times. Looked at several YouTube videos as well. Talked to Ford customer support. Had the dealer take a quick look just yesterday afternoon. The next time I got in the car (to go to dinner last night), the colors had again reverted to the defaults. Last night when I got home, I changed them again and did a "My Mode" save. I will be surprised if that works because there is simply no indication in any documentation that this is necessary since you do not have to use My Mode at all. However, there is no other "save" feature anywhere. The documentation, including the official Ford online video, just says and shows that you need to make the desired changes and "back out."

Will keep trying and hopefully the Ford dealer will contact someone at Ford that is higher up the food chain. As he said yesterday, the new Mustang instrument cluster is new to everyone. Thanks for your help.

PS - Love my new Mustang!!!

Theres a recall concerning both the cluster and an issue with the transmission. not sure if its related in any way. I haven't taken mine in yet but haven't hit this issue.
Old 02-11-2018, 06:14 PM
jefranks

I am aware of the recall for Mustangs built between a rage of dates. Mine was slightly outside that date. The new gauge cluster issue that is subject to the recall did not seem to be the ambient color issue I have experienced, however.

I may have found the solution, at least it has not reverted back to the default colors in a week or so. I changed the colors and then saved "My Mode." Fingers crossed!!

Thanks for the input.
Old 05-27-2018, 06:48 AM
Robin Lynn

Default Ambient Lighting

How were you able to fix it. I have been to the dealership and spoke with Ford. Nothing I have tried allows me to change the lighting colors. Well, I can change it but as soon as I turn the car off and crank but up it reverts to default colors!
Old 05-27-2018, 10:20 AM
jefranks

I saved the color changes to “My Mode” and that has completely resolved the issue. Neither the online Ford Mustang videos on this subject or my Ford dealer say anything about this. Haven’t had any issues in many months. Good luck.
Old 05-29-2018, 09:50 PM
Robin Lynn

Unfortunately for me I have saved to My Mide many times. I love the car but it is exasperating. I literally ordered this car before they were released so I am thinking they didn’t work the kinks out!
Old 05-30-2018, 07:44 AM
jefranks

Sorry the "My Mode" save is not working for you. I too "love" the car, but there are certainly issues. I talked to Ford yesterday on a minor issue when saving navigation points that do not save the data point, but rather it shows in SYNC 3 as a "blank" destination. Supposedly, all you should have to do is "delete" it, but in this case it does not work. Solution from Ford? Do a Master Reset which deletes all SYNC 3 data, including your phone pairing, etc.

The biggest issue I have read about is regarding the manual transmission (I have an AT) where the gear "fingers" were changed from steel to aluminum. Have been multiple reports of these "fingers" easily breaking.

But, this is technology and new developments and you'll always have issues. However, when it's "you" this is happening to, it makes a difference!!

Good luck.
Old 07-04-2018, 02:08 AM
Semp1

Add me to the same issue. It’s very annoying. Let me ask you something in regards to my mode and other modes. When you start the car does the mode start off in the mode you shut the car off in? Will it start I. My mode. Because my car seems to start at normal at all times. Including the exhaust modes. It starts at normal with every mode at a cold start after shutting the car off. Is this normal?

Quick Reply: 2018 gauge & ambient lighting issue