General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2012 5.0 Coyote Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 01:23 AM
Nabeel Al Jaroodi

Default 2012 5.0 Coyote Issues

Hi, I very recently purchased a used Manual Coyote with around 95k miles on her. Even thought I got her for a cheap price, she is costing alot on repairs .. Long story short, I have a number of issues that I hope you guys can help me or guide me to resolve:

1- Engine Lifters even though I have replaced them along with the oil pump the car still sounds like a generator when at idle and engine is warmed up, but when running no sound or at cold start.

2- I have the Charging System Error Notification on the dash, when check by the car under the dash it reads low charging but when actual testing it with a tester gives full 12v reading on the meter.

3- The computer scan reads Cylinder 1 and 6 error, I did an SCT diagnosis of the issue and followed the procedure and it went away which comes to my following point 4 issue.

4- There is smoke that comes out when going in High RPMs, after doing a dyno test and diagnosis, I found out that I am running lean.

I am being as positive as I can about my car, but as my mechanic says this car does not want me, can you guys help me out on how to deal with these issues.

FYI, I am from Bahrain in the Middle East, the car is an American Spec and not GCC plus it had a bad accident from the previous owner and was to the under caraig of the car. I went and replaced the Cross Member and Arm Rods for both sides, and did a Clutch/Release Bearing/Fly Wheel replacement to McLeod.

Other than that I am having fun driving the **** out of her!

Regards,
Nabz
Old 03-27-2018, 06:04 AM
08'MustangDude
Banned

You should have over 14 Volts at the positive battery terminal when the motor is running.
At the very least, 13.7 Volts. If you only have 12 Volts, the battery is not charging, and will
be 11 - 11.5 Volts or lower at the battery when the car is off; that's unacceptable.

These cars and others act up when voltage is low. This can effect the coils, and can
cause misfires and such.
Old 03-27-2018, 07:52 PM
Nabeel Al Jaroodi

Originally Posted by 08'MustangDude
You should have over 14 Volts at the positive battery terminal when the motor is running.
At the very least, 13.7 Volts. If you only have 12 Volts, the battery is not charging, and will
be 11 - 11.5 Volts or lower at the battery when the car is off; that's unacceptable.

These cars and others act up when voltage is low. This can effect the coils, and can
cause misfires and such.
thank you brother on your reply, I re-checked again with an electrician and replaced the battery with a new one slightly higher amper. But my tuner said it could possible be that the previous owner replaced the alternator to a different spec other than the original one for the 5.0 and that is why it's poping up. I already have in mind that I will replace with original in the near future.
My main concern now is the ticking in the engine that is driving me crazy, I hate the car sounding like a generator, managed to put Lique Moley Lubricant but still there is a little sound.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:21 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

Doesn't matter what alternator was used, they still put out 14.7 charging volts. AMPS
is the difference in alternators, from a high-output to not. So, even if it is the wrong
alternator, you should still see 13.7 to 14.7 volts on the positive terminal when the
car is running. If the alternator is not putting out 13.7 to 14.7 then it is bad, or the regulator
is bad.

The ticking can be anything... You'd need that diagnosed...

If your running at 12V, with low current, can have bad fuel delivery, bad spark,
which can cause cylinder misfires.