General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

First oil change

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 03:39 PM
Condor1970

Default First oil change

Well, I did my first oil change at 1,000mi for my 2018 Mustang GT MT-82. I switched to Mobil-1 5w20 Extended Performance, and the Mobil-1 Extended Performance filter. I've heard very good things about these filters. Anyway, I wanted to ask something that seems normal according to the manual but wanted your input from your experiences. I added two whole jugs of oil (10qts), and the manual says "do not add more". In the past with all cars I've owned, I always filled it to the high mark just after running the engine. However, I found when checking oil level immediately after running the engine, the level is at the very bottom of the band at the lower hole on the dipstick. But after waiting 15mins like the manual says, the level did get back up to the middle of the band.

Is this normal for most of you guys driving the new '18's?
Old 07-24-2018, 05:35 AM
08'MustangDude
Banned

You changed it at 1000 miles, why? Doesn't your car have the oil life monitor, and it tells
you when it needs changed? There is no break in procedure anywhere in your user manual
that says to do a first oil change at this many miles, then every that miles afterwards.

Whatever, it's your money, and yes, M1 is fine, but if you're gonna change the oil before
the OCI all the time, then don't buy extended performance oil, OR filter, you're wasting
your money. People constantly pay more for synthetics than they should, and
still change too soon, which totally defeats the reason for using synthetic.

2008 and newer model-year vehicles: every 7,500 miles or every six months, whichever comes first,
directly from FORD's web page. If you run E85 more then 50% of the time, or idle the motor for
long periods of time, or harsh conditions then it's 2008 and newer model-year vehicles: every 5,000
miles or every six months, whichever comes first.

THERE IS NO BREAK IN OCI.

https://owner.ford.com/how-tos/vehic...ngine-oil.html

You want to waste your money, that's good, it's your car, do what you want but that was totally
unnecessary. Do what the MANUAL says, and you'll be fine.
Old 07-24-2018, 06:12 AM
David Young
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Condor1970
Well, I did my first oil change at 1,000mi for my 2018 Mustang GT MT-82. I switched to Mobil-1 5w20 Extended Performance, and the Mobil-1 Extended Performance filter. I've heard very good things about these filters. Anyway, I wanted to ask something that seems normal according to the manual but wanted your input from your experiences. I added two whole jugs of oil (10qts), and the manual says "do not add more". In the past with all cars I've owned, I always filled it to the high mark just after running the engine. However, I found when checking oil level immediately after running the engine, the level is at the very bottom of the band at the lower hole on the dipstick. But after waiting 15mins like the manual says, the level did get back up to the middle of the band.

Is this normal for most of you guys driving the new '18's?
I don't have a 18 Mustang but you have to give the oil 'time' to run down to the crankcase. I change the oil in every 'new' vehicle I buy, the first oil change at 1,000 miles then the second oil change 2,000 miles after the first. Then I do every 3,000. Over kill I know, but it makes me happy and that's all that maters
Old 07-24-2018, 06:27 AM
JimC

The 3,000 mile oil change made some sense with older cars. Today, it is a hold-over from that era. The people pushing frequent oil changes are ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- In the business of selling you more oil!

I think that the manufacturer, who is the one who has to warranty the engine after all, are probably more interested in the oil change cycle that will protect the engine than the people who just want to sell me more product.

But your money so do what you want.
Old 07-24-2018, 06:41 AM
GT Nate
2nd Gear Member

I do mine every 6 months.. Mobil One Synthetic... newer machining methods make 3000 mile changes obsolete.
Old 07-24-2018, 12:04 PM
johnnybee

I'm planning on doing mine in the fall and spring, regardless of mileage, which for me will probably be about 5,000 mile intervals. I have this thing about not lying on my back under the car in the driveway during the winter! I'm also going to do a change in the next week or so, the car is now approaching 2K km (1,200 miles). I know, you don't really need to do this anymore but as an older guy it's a hard habit to break. I am going to Mobil 1 5W30 as I don't know what they filled it with at the factory. The manual's recommended oil for Canada appears to be regular Dino oil, while the U.S. and Mexico get synthetic. So, if the factory fill is Dino, I want to change it over to synthetic sooner, rather than later.
Old 07-24-2018, 12:49 PM
Condor1970

My question was not related to what oil I'm using, or frequency of changing it. I always do my first oil change my oil at 1,000mi for every car I own. Having done some machining in the past, I can assure you that sometimes small machining particles do remain in the engine after being built. The manufacturers do not always flush them as well as you may think. After 1,000mi break in of the engine, an oil change is ALWAYS a good idea, regardless of a lack of instructions in the owners manual with the newest cars. I don't care how new the design is, or what the oil life monitor says. I change my oil when I want to based on how I drive, or how long it's been in the car. I do not trust an electronic gadget to the life of my engine. That's like trusting your Nav system, or Synch to be flawless every time it runs. Habits of driving, time, and mileage are always the best ways of making sure your engine lasts. I would rather spend $60 on an oil change, than pay almost $10,000 for a new engine after the warranty's up. Besides, my oil life monitor at 1,000mi was still at 97%. According to the rate at which it was dropping, my first oil change should have been at 20,000mi. That's ridiculous.

Now, my question was really about the oil level on the dipstick after changing the oil with a full 10qts like the manual says. I want to know, do others have the same experience with operating oil level to be at the bottom of the band, instead of in the middle or top while the engine is running?
Old 07-24-2018, 01:10 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GT Nate
I do mine every 6 months.. Mobil One Synthetic... newer machining methods make 3000 mile changes obsolete.
Not just that but also the technological development of lubricants has also come a long way. 40 years ago an engine with 100K was done. Now, due largely to better lubricants an engine with 100K is just getting started.
Old 07-24-2018, 03:32 PM
johnnybee

I apologize for not addressing the original question. In the old days, we would put in the exact amount the manufacturer called for, run the engine and then let in drain down, preferably overnight, after which we would pull the dipstick and mark it with a file at the oil level indicated. There may be some discrepancy and you certainly do not want to overfill.
Old 07-24-2018, 03:38 PM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

Never check the oil with the engine running. As stated earlier, give it a few minutes for the oil to drain down into the pan. The oil level will be at or near the top of the mark on the dipstick. As long as the oil is in the hash mark, you will be fine. While I don't really disagree with your 1000 mile oil change regimen, it is definitely a waste of money and resources to change oil again at 2K, 3k, and every 3K afterwards, especially with synthetic oil. Synthetic oil will easily go 10K according to test results from the various manufacturers and 5K for rough city driving and 7K for easy highway driving is sensible. FYI, my oil life monitor in my GT350 went on at 4800 miles. I believe the manufacturers have it figured out now.

Quick Reply: First oil change