General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

First oil change

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 04:33 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

3000 Mile OCI was also in the days of NON synthetics, and old motors with old
clearance and tolerances.

Synthetics will go 25,000+ miles, changing the oil filter and topping off with the same
Synthetic oil every 8,300. It's been tested and proven. In fact, when the Saturn was first
introduced, they said you can drive their car 100,000 miles without servicing, and they did it.

OIL threads always bring up arguments. I drove my Charger 25,000 with a 25,000 mile
OCI, but changing the filter every 8,300 miles, and topping off the oil. From 70,000 to
116,000 I did that, no problems what so ever. SOLD the car 3 years ago to a friend, and
it's still on the road.

Synthetics is the shiz-nit... You can't beat its performance and longevity today.

AS far as break in, well, when the car is done, from the line, it goes right on a Dyno at WOT
to test HP ant TQ are within spec. The car was essentially broken in at the factory....

I go with 10,000 miles on my VWs, as it calls for. My '13 TDI had 243,000 miles on it
at buy back. ALL that was ever done was routine maintenance. That car was a
workhorse. This '15 TSI I got now, needs suspension work, and parts, has had
wheel bearings done... I got almost 152,000 on this 2015, and it needs work...
That 2013 TDI needed nothing but oil, brake stuff, and DSG trans fluid changes.
I ran that 243,000 miles with the original TIMING and SERPENTINE belts! I
stocked wheel bearings, ball joints, and stuts, didn't need them, but this 2015 does...
The RH axle seal was just starting to leak, but since VW was taking it back, I didn't
have or need to get it fixed.

Anyhow, just do what the owners manual calls for, and you can't go wrong.
Old 08-11-2018, 08:06 AM
bcrider

OP, I've had motors that would indicate oil level almost immediately after running and some that took a few minutes to drain back into the pan. What works for me is change oil, run motor, check for leaks, turn car off and clean up mess and then recheck oil level. This allows time for oil to drain back into pan. Not stated but always check oil with car sitting level. Cheers
Old 08-11-2018, 01:52 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

'08MustangDude -

I couldn't do a 25K OCI even on a rental car, even if said rental car was a soulless Kia product. I do all my changes right around 5K and use products that give me a reasonable amount of assurance that I'm throwing them out prematurely. I know there are products and even manufacturer recommendations that point toward a much longer interval and I'm sure they make that recommendation because its actually ok and not because they want to sell you replacement engines, but I just can't bring myself to it lol.
Old 08-11-2018, 02:23 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

Another reason for Synthetics, was to reduce toxic waste products, to go with longer OCIs,
and as we can all see, it's made no difference. If people are still going with 5000 mile OCIs
with Synthetic, then it was a waste of time.

The 25,000 mile OCI was a proof of concept. I was proving that it could be done, and I did.

I have a '15 VW TSI, and I change the oil every 6 weeks. I am lucky, I have someone who
comes by and takes all my used oil for their oil burning furnace/boiler whatever he has.
Yes, about every 6 weeks because I put 1,860 miles a week on it. When I had my TDI,
I went 12,000 - 13,000 miles to span that to every 7 or 8 weeks, and 243,000 miles later,
ran like a champ. IF the ******* VW dealer would not have told me the car would be
illegal to drive by such-and-such a date (dieselgate), I would not have done the buy-back.
They just wanted another sale under their belt. I should have kept the 2013 TDI...

The fact is SYNTHETIC can go 25,000 miles, easy, it was designed to. If you're gonna
use something like Amsoil, that is very expensive, well, their signature series claims 25,000
mile OCI. There's a dude that runs it, and goes 25,000 miles in his prius, and has sent
his oil out to be tested, and every time, comes back fine.

I am all for people wasting their money on 5000 or less Synthetic oil changes, it's your
money, waste away. Me, on the other hand, push the envelope, and I have never, EVER
had any engine failures. Every single car I have owned, has gone well over 100,000 miles,
doing it the way I do. So, I will continue to go 12,000+ OCIs, with synthetics, because
I won't waste money on shorter OCis when Synthetics were made to run for longer
OCIs. The Charger was the only car that was under 150,000 when sold or traded.

AND again, Saturn proved they can run 100,000 miles, with filter changes and top offs.
I ran 25,000 doing it that way, that Charger is STILL on the road, the friend I sold it to,
his son is running the **** out of it. It had 116,000 when I sold it three years ago.
All it needed was an oil pressure sending unit, it happened to let go a few months
after he bought it, and I paid for the replacement. I warrantied the car, personally
for three months. THAT is how confident that I know what I am doing, is fine.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:37 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Condor1970
My question was not related to what oil I'm using, or frequency of changing it. I always do my first oil change my oil at 1,000mi for every car I own. Having done some machining in the past, I can assure you that sometimes small machining particles do remain in the engine after being built. The manufacturers do not always flush them as well as you may think. After 1,000mi break in of the engine, an oil change is ALWAYS a good idea, regardless of a lack of instructions in the owners manual with the newest cars. I don't care how new the design is, or what the oil life monitor says. I change my oil when I want to based on how I drive, or how long it's been in the car. I do not trust an electronic gadget to the life of my engine. That's like trusting your Nav system, or Synch to be flawless every time it runs. Habits of driving, time, and mileage are always the best ways of making sure your engine lasts. I would rather spend $60 on an oil change, than pay almost $10,000 for a new engine after the warranty's up. Besides, my oil life monitor at 1,000mi was still at 97%. According to the rate at which it was dropping, my first oil change should have been at 20,000mi. That's ridiculous.

Now, my question was really about the oil level on the dipstick after changing the oil with a full 10qts like the manual says. I want to know, do others have the same experience with operating oil level to be at the bottom of the band, instead of in the middle or top while the engine is running?
^^^^ That x10.

The manual for cars is not always 100% concise. Hell most don't even mention brake fluid replacement or PS fluid replacement, just "Top it off as necessary"

And VW/Audi as someone mentioned says 10K between oil changes yet, they were the same company that once said their DSG transmission was "Sealed for life" then backed off and recommended 40K drain and fill a few years later. I own a VW as well so I'm familiar with that.

As for fluid level checking, Engine level has always been checked with the engine off. Transmission is with it running, warm, and in park.
Old 08-15-2018, 03:38 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

I did my DSG every 80,000 with the TDI. Just started leaking out the driver side
axle seal at ~150,000 miles, and was only .5 liters down when I did the last service.
When I knew it was going back, I didn't do anymore services to it. Still had the original
timing and serpentine belts. Was a work-horse... All my VWs say OCI is 10,000 miles
or 1 year, whichever comes first.