General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need help with a code.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 02:49 PM
spower

Default Need help with a code.....

The code is P0193

Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor Circuit High Input

on my 05 Mustang V6 4.0. The car runs fine, just drove it 1500 miles. I don't know where to start with this code, or even where the part is under the hood.

Any direction would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 01-05-2019, 04:21 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Here's some info..... www.obd-codes.com/p0193
Old 01-05-2019, 04:54 PM
imp
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by spower
The code is P0193Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor Circuit High Input

on my 05 Mustang V6 4.0. The car runs fine, just drove it 1500 miles. I don't know where to start with this code, or even where the part is under the hood.

Any direction would be greatly appreciated!!
The code is telling you the sensor is not operating properly, or at all. This sensor is located on the engine fuel rail under the upper intake manifold. It measures fuel pressure and temperature, sending this info to the computer, the PCM. PCM uses that info to control the fuel pump output, to maintain constant pressure at the fuel rail. If the sensor fails completely, the PCM runs the fuel pump full-blast, which ups the pressure much higher than it should be, while the pump dumps the excess fuel it's pumping back into the tank. If that happens, the engine will run very much too rich, may even throw black smoke. At that time, it is polluting the air very much, and if driven very long, will ruin the catalytic converters. When my 4.0 threw that code, it ran just fine, too.

I would replace that sensor before what I described above happens. The worst part of doing so is getting to it. The upper intake manifold has two screws way in the back, difficult to get to. The part itself should cost about $50.

Last edited by imp; 01-30-2019 at 09:31 PM.
Old 01-05-2019, 06:18 PM
spower

Anybody have a diagram, picture or anything that may help me with this? I can't afford to pay somebody to do it. Thanks!
Old 01-05-2019, 11:39 PM
imp
3rd Gear Member

Anybody have a diagram, picture or anything that may help me with this? I can't afford to pay somebody to do it. Thanks!
Sure! Need complete info on year, make, model, which engine. What sort of picture or diagram do you seek? You have two basic choices here. One, assume the sensor is borderline operative, meaning the car will continue to run fine until the sensor fails completely, then putting you in the position I outlined above. Or, two, you can go buy a new replacement sensor, and, if you have adequate mechanical knowledge, install it yourself.

A third choice: seek a cost estimate from a bonafide repair facility capable of understanding and handling this sort of issue. How to determine a non-dealer's ability? Check info on it at Better Business Bureau, look at complaints and compliments.
Old 01-06-2019, 10:24 AM
spower

Looking for a diagram of where the sensor is located.......

05 Mustang Conv V6 4.0L
Old 01-06-2019, 05:41 PM
imp
3rd Gear Member

05 Mustang Conv V6 4.0L
@spower
That I can help with. Give me until tonight to get the shop manual scanned and I'll post the pics tonight. imp
Old 01-06-2019, 06:39 PM
imp
3rd Gear Member

05 Mustang Conv V6 4.0L
Old 01-07-2019, 10:40 AM
spower

Awesome!! Thank you!! Looks pretty easy :-) Part ordered
Old 01-30-2019, 02:58 PM
spower

UPDATE: More help needed......
So I replaced the fuel sensor, cleared the check engine light. Put about 65 miles on the car, ran fine!
Today was headed out, was hard starting the car, kept stalling then finally started, was running fine. Drove 3 miles to the gas station, got fuel, then the car would no longer start. Had to get a tow home.
There is no check engine light on but I took an OBD reading anyway and it still shows code P0193.
So now what? Bad new fuel sensor? Fuel pump bad? I don't know what to do now.

TIA

Quick Reply: Need help with a code.....