General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

When to change to synthetic oil

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 09:02 PM
sprostang
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: When to change to synthetic oil

ORIGINAL: redass02gt

ORIGINAL: sprostang

I most certainly wouldn't waste time/money (in my mind, at least) on changing synthetic every 3000 miles. if you don't keep it in longer, you're probably not gaining anything by using it. I would change regular oil every 3K tho.
How do you figure that there is no gain if you change it at 3000? It protects the engine better than regular oil the minute you pour it in your car and start it. And what would you gain by keeping it in longer?
you're not getting the value out of your synth if you change it so quickly. the synth oil isn't any better or worse at providing protection at 3k than it is at 4k miles, so you don't gain anything with the fresh oil. changing oil twice as often as needed doesn't net any gains. it's like saying I get better protection by changing regular oil every 1000 miles instead of 3000.
Ok, kinda see your point. This doesnt need to turn into a b**** session (lol) I just do it every 3 months/4 times a year no matter what. Thats all. I dont see a problem with that.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:34 PM
NewMexMustang
5th Gear Member

I don't think you should leave synthetic longer than 5,000 because, though it might not break down as fast, it still gets junk in it - you have to think about the oil filter too.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:00 AM
Ole Man Mustang

Like I said, I'm not mechanically inclined. I was trying to go by what I thought the manual said. And that was every 5000 miles. Guess I need to change it right now. Hope I haven't hurt anything. Thanks for all the info.

Ole Man
Old 11-03-2005, 12:54 AM
waxyourboard
3rd Gear Member

The thing that hurts you with synthetic oils is the microscopic deposits, caused by wear inside the engine, that the oil filter does not pick up, not the oil breaking down. Although these deposits do build up the most within the first 3000 miles, if you dont change your oil, those deposits stay in the system until you change your oil again.
Synthetic oil will last for damn near 18k miles, at least mobil 1 will, but for all that time, those microscopic deposits are being ran around through your engine.

If you choose to run your oil for an extra couple thousand miles, you will not accumulate that much more deposits, and i'm sure it wont destroy your engine, as long as you're using synthetic.

Hooray!
Old 11-03-2005, 08:04 AM
03YellowPony
6th Gear Member

There is a reason they say change the oil every 5000. Some manuals say 7500. The reason is the yearly maintenance cost. They have to project a yearly maint cost for the public to see. The longer the interval, the less that maint cost is. It's for a sales gimmick. They stretch it to the absolute extreme. BUT, if something goes wrong, they can say you didn't change the oil often enough and deny warranty. It is generally recommended you change Dyno oil every 3000, and Synthetics 5000-7500 miles depending on driving habits and environmental concerns.
I highly recommend Mobile1. and there is no detriment to changing over to synthetics early.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:18 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

I read a study one time where they tested the various synthetic oils, and Mobile 1 came in close to the bottom. Redline and Amsoil are superior oils, as are their filters. However, you have to go through a dealer to get them. I would recommend using Mobil 1 only because of the cost and the convenience of readily finding it. I have never heard of Pennzoil making a full synthetic. Switching over to synthetic oil at 10K is just fine. That's when I changed mine in my 03Mach, and the mechanic at the Ford house recommended that I do it then. These engines don't require the long break in period as did previous engines.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:49 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

I most certainly wouldn't waste time/money (in my mind, at least) on changing synthetic every 3000 miles. if you don't keep it in longer, you're probably not gaining anything by using it. I would change regular oil every 3K tho.
How do you figure that there is no gain if you change it at 3000? It protects the engine better than regular oil the minute you pour it in your car and start it. And what would you gain by keeping it in longer?
you're not getting the value out of your synth if you change it so quickly. the synth oil isn't any better or worse at providing protection at 3k than it is at 4k miles, so you don't gain anything with the fresh oil. changing oil twice as often as needed doesn't net any gains. it's like saying I get better protection by changing regular oil every 1000 miles instead of 3000.
Ok, kinda see your point. This doesnt need to turn into a b**** session (lol) I just do it every 3 months/4 times a year no matter what. Thats all. I dont see a problem with that.
never was a bitch session. you can change oil however often you feel like, and it will never bother me. I was merely discussing the benefits of changing synth oil less often. bitch sessions require more asterisks.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:04 PM
03YellowPony
6th Gear Member

never was a bitch session. you can change oil however often you feel like, and it will never bother me. I was merely discussing the benefits of changing synth oil less often. bitch sessions require more asterisks.
There ya go!
Old 11-03-2005, 06:43 PM
tightdogal
5th Gear Member

i run mobil 1 oil synthetic in my v6 and i love it. i actually use the new oil that can last up to 15,000 miles, but i just change it every 5-7K miles. i used to use the fram filter and those are decent. but now i started using the good ol motorcraft filters, cant go wrong wit something that was already on the car itself ...but yea i heard royal purple oil was some good shat, but the problem is its more expensive and i cant find it anywehere to save my life. i can order it offline, but thats just too much hassle
Old 11-03-2005, 07:22 PM
NewMexMustang
5th Gear Member

Have you tried Pepboys?

Quick Reply: When to change to synthetic oil