General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

When to change to synthetic oil

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 03:08 PM
Ole Man Mustang

Default When to change to synthetic oil

Still new to the forum, so hoping I'm in the right place. I have an 05 V6 Mustang. Let the dealer change my oil at the 5000 mile mark because it was free. Getting close to my 10000 mile mark. I would like to change to synthetic oil (I prefer Pennzoil). Some people I have talked to say I should wait until 12000 miles to let all seals seat in good. Any advice? I'm not mechanically inclined, so I'll proabably be asking a lot of questions.

thanks,
Ole Man
Old 11-02-2005, 05:34 PM
waxyourboard
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: When to change to synthetic oil

Wow, you really should change your oil more than every 5000 miles... especially if it's not synthetic. Especially if the car's brand new, because of all the metal and debris buildup in the oil while the rings are seating themselves etc. Other than that, check with some of the guys in the '05-'06 forum?
Old 11-02-2005, 08:11 PM
sprostang
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Ole Man Mustang

Still new to the forum, so hoping I'm in the right place. I have an 05 V6 Mustang. Let the dealer change my oil at the 5000 mile mark because it was free. Getting close to my 10000 mile mark. I would like to change to synthetic oil (I prefer Pennzoil). Some people I have talked to say I should wait until 12000 miles to let all seals seat in good. Any advice? I'm not mechanically inclined, so I'll proabably be asking a lot of questions.

thanks,
Ole Man
Change after break in period to synthetic. I use mobil 1. That is one of the best on the market next to royal purple.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:17 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

ORIGINAL: waxyourboard

Wow, you really should change your oil more than every 5000 miles... especially if it's not synthetic. Especially if the car's brand new, because of all the metal and debris buildup in the oil while the rings are seating themselves etc. Other than that, check with some of the guys in the '05-'06 forum?
the manual says 5000 miles.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:20 PM
TorchV6
4th Gear Member

I use mobil 1 and I use to work a Jiffy Lube a Penzoil base store. They also use to use Mobil 1 I agree that it is one of the best oils around. they say if you are running conventional oil to change it every 3k but if you have synthetic depending ont he synthetic it could be every 5-15k I personally use change my oil every 5k with synthetic. You could start to use the synthetic now if you wanted I mean it will not hurt the car at all it will just help to protect it more. Alot of cars straight from the factory use synthetic.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:23 PM
sprostang
I ♥ Acer

That is true, but I would never go 5000 miles with regular motor oil. Synthetic you can but I still wouldn`t. Nothing wrong with changing it sooner. I do mine every 3 months no matter what, but in that time, im under 3000 miles.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:27 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

I most certainly wouldn't waste time/money (in my mind, at least) on changing synthetic every 3000 miles. if you don't keep it in longer, you're probably not gaining anything by using it. I would change regular oil every 3K tho.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:34 PM
TorchV6
4th Gear Member

did I state my statement wrong cuz I change my synthetic every 5k I think thats what I said right?? or redass are you talking to spro
Old 11-02-2005, 08:41 PM
sprostang
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: redass02gt

I most certainly wouldn't waste time/money (in my mind, at least) on changing synthetic every 3000 miles. if you don't keep it in longer, you're probably not gaining anything by using it. I would change regular oil every 3K tho.
How do you figure that there is no gain if you change it at 3000? It protects the engine better than regular oil the minute you pour it in your car and start it. And what would you gain by keeping it in longer?
Old 11-02-2005, 08:53 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

ORIGINAL: sprostang

ORIGINAL: redass02gt

How do you figure that there is no gain if you change it at 3000? It protects the engine better than regular oil the minute you pour it in your car and start it. And what would you gain by keeping it in longer?
you're not getting the value out of your synth if you change it so quickly. the synth oil isn't any better or worse at providing protection at 3k than it is at 4k miles, so you don't gain anything with the fresh oil. changing oil twice as often as needed doesn't net any gains. it's like saying I get better protection by changing regular oil every 1000 miles instead of 3000.

Quick Reply: When to change to synthetic oil