General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

94 5.0 that starts when it wants to!~

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2005, 03:01 PM
Fast_Low_N_Loud

Default 94 5.0 that starts when it wants to!~

[:@][:@][:@]Alright.... this is begining to frustrate me!!! [:@][:@]

I have a 94 Mustag GT with the High Output 5.0
It seems as if my car has a mind of it's own, sometimes it will hesitate to start or not start at all.... The fuel pump is kickin and putting out enough pressure, also i am getting spark i got shocked to hell and back tonight when it decided it didn't wanna move and i also had a spark tester. It seems as if to me that the MAF (mass air flow sensor) is acting up... i pulled it out and inspected that the other week when it was doing that and could see no signs of damage or debris. The thing that blows my mind is that when it will not start, i can get it to kick start (AKA Roll start.) If anyone has any ideas or has experienced this before or anything what so ever that might help me out your input would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,
AJ

Email address: Fast-Low-N-Loud@hotmail.com
Old 11-07-2005, 04:47 PM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Default RE: 94 5.0 that starts when it wants to!~

Check your distributor, you could be too advanced or too retarded. Once the engine is started it will run fine when its too advanced but getting it to start is a bitch.

The person before you probably played with the car alot and may have changed some of the EEC programming. Its just a shot in the dark, the closest thing I can think of is your timing, and if it diesels when you try to turn it off then your getting hot spots in your engine.

I would just give it a major tune up and replaced anything and everything that might be worn out thats original.

Oil and filter of course, spark plugs, plug wires, new dist cap (maybe even the whole dist because the dist gear may be worn), new coil, run a good B12 chemical through the gas, use SeaFoam B12 chemical through the throuttle untill you use 1/3 of the can or it dies, let sit for 5 minutes and start for 30 (No driving.), Check the timing and have it tuned with something like a Diablo tuner. Since your doing all that work you could even change the gear fluid in your trans, it uses a light fluid like ATF I beleive.

That should help your problem there if not completly fix it. Alot of time when cars are acting up like that you just need to give them a weekend at the Shade Tree Day Spa. You will nottice a good pickup in power as well, just the new Dist will help there, I would suggest a MSD Dist and coil, you will be very pleased, and to help the spark get a set of 409 plug wires, they are the shiz-nit! Delphile plug wires are even better but more expensive.

Thats about as much as I can help you without being there, Good luck.

-Eric-
Old 11-22-2005, 05:13 AM
Fast_Low_N_Loud

Default RE: 94 5.0 that starts when it wants to!~

thank you for your input.... i got frustrated and had the cash and did as you said... i put new plugs, wires, ignition module, distributor cap, and rotor button.... after i did all that and it still would not start i tested the spark again and it was shooting no spark while turning over but would send one heavy spark when i shut the key completely off.... making me go right back to autozone and purchasing an ignition switch (which i must say is the easiest ignition switch i have seen to replace) after replacing the switch and all of the others my car has never ran as good as it is running now.... by the way it is for sale if anyone is interested.... gettin me a big 4x4 now... i've gotten a few too many speeding tickets in this car and almost a street racing ticket when i ran a lightining the other night.... if anyone is interested in this mustang email me at Fast-Low-N-Loud@hotmail.com for a list of mods and pics... and thanks again for your input it did help!

AJ