General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

ram air

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 02:23 AM
01musgt
1st Gear Member

Default ram air

i have an 01 mustang gt , i was wondering if anyone can give me direction on how to create my own ram air kit

can you list procedures and the things you will need, are you able to pick the materials up at a local hardware store

thank you
Old 11-27-2005, 11:42 AM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

Default RE: ram air

I'm thinking about doing the same thing someday.So far I've figured out that I can use the stock air silencer trimmed to accept a ring made to stiffen the rubber for a mounting surface.Then use some "scat tubing",available from Aircraft Spruce,for the hose.Scat tubing is plastic but a lot tougher than regular air duct hose.Then fabbing up a scoop that will fit inside the lower facia opening out of sheet aluminum.This should keep the opening up off the road to avoid picking up the water and dirt that everyone says the March system picks up.The best place for the scoop would seem to be right behind the pony emblem to actually get higher pressure air but would that interfere with proper cooling???You just got me to thinking again and all I would have to do would be to cover the opening and drive the car to find out.Even to use the March system as a diagram you would get air that comes from completly outside the car so it seems there would be some benefit.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:56 PM
BewareOfBite
1st Gear Member

well i did this to my cobra but it might be a little harder to do on a gt since the fog lights are a differnt shape. i took out the fog light on the side of the air filter. and then took out the air silencer and took heating/air conditioning duct and ran it to the air filter and then made a facet so that it fit right onto the air filter. then i just threw on a filter screen and thats that. 32_10_full.jpg[/IMG]
Old 11-29-2005, 08:57 PM
BewareOfBite
1st Gear Member

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...00-788999/7880

heres a pic
Old 05-09-2006, 01:00 AM
TorqueAholic

I did some brake ducts to help cooling my brakes during my "brake torturing" Open tracks sessions but this would work just as well for a ram air setup.

You can run the Brake duct hoses to the Silencer tube on the air box and that should do the trick. I bought the scoops at http://www.allstar-performance.com for $17.00 per side and I think the hose was $30.00 from the same place.

You can zoom in on a picture and see the comments by clicking on the pictures. If you want a bigger Zoom click on the "view original image" link once you are in the picture details screen Also, if you click on the picture you will see some instructions and remarks I added for your installing pleasure..

I have a different setup now that I have a Cobra nose, the brake cooling intakes are integrated in the foglight assemblies but that setup worked well.

P.S. Keep in mind that if you ran into a deep water puddle, your engine could ingest water and that could spell big trouble..

Take Care
Old 05-09-2006, 02:34 AM
Sean97
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TorqueAholic

P.S. Keep in mind that if you ran into a deep water puddle, your engine could ingest water and that could spell big trouble..

Take Care
Don't they make water bypass valves that you can put in your intake?