General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

engine ticking noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 06:55 PM
bobjenkins
1st Gear Member

Default engine ticking noise

Im hesitant to buy a 98 gt because when it started for the first time I went to look at it it had a ticking noise just for a second.. someone said that fords are notorious for having a ticking noise sometimes is this a serious problem or is this just a minor thing?
it has 80k miles
Old 12-05-2005, 02:37 AM
UhadMEatGT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: engine ticking noise

I would skip it and find another. A tick is never normal. Some cars may have a tendency to do this, but there is an underlying problem to it. Many have been put through the ringer, so I would not get to anxious.....wait and find a nice example. I found a 97 GT that was owned by a couple in their 50's-only driven in nice weather-and traded in on a new Acura TL. My father in law (who is a salesman at Acura) helped me get it. No ticks or problems whatsoever. They are out there. Look for something stock and then do what you want to it. Good luck.
Old 12-05-2005, 03:34 AM
Vash the Stampede
3rd Gear Member

80k i wouldn't buy that.. but my friend has around 50k miles and his ticks, and mine has started making a funny noise recently as well.. it might be because iam not used to driving with the windows up.. and iam forced too now because of the winter. and iam at 21k by the way.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:20 AM
wildazme
3rd Gear Member

if its just a slight tick its normal. i have a 98 gt with 71000 miles on it and it does that but no other problems whatsoever, also it doesnt burn any oil at all.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:20 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

ORIGINAL: UhadMEatGT

I would skip it and find another. A tick is never normal. Some cars may have a tendency to do this, but there is an underlying problem to it. Many have been put through the ringer, so I would not get to anxious.....wait and find a nice example. I found a 97 GT that was owned by a couple in their 50's-only driven in nice weather-and traded in on a new Acura TL. My father in law (who is a salesman at Acura) helped me get it. No ticks or problems whatsoever. They are out there. Look for something stock and then do what you want to it. Good luck.
Hold on there fellas.

All this really depends on the "ticking".

All 4.6 engines have SOME engine noise due to the 2 timing chains running through various guides etc. I have heard plenty of people describe this noise as a "ticking". It is especially noticeable on cars which still have stock exhaust and filter box. Other cars cover the sound with the rumble of exhaust or the wooshing of air.

I would listend to a couple of other engines with similar setups and compare because if you are not used to them, the 4.6 can actually seem kinda noisy.