General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Front Bumper Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 03:49 PM
nyjets10
1st Gear Member

Default Front Bumper Replacement

The bottom of my front bumper is cracked after a stupid incident on my and my friend's part. I'll try and get pictures up if I can so it will help you answer my question: Can it just be bondoed(sp?) at a body shop or do I have to replace the whole front bumper. All of the front bumpers I see online are "front bumper covers". Is this what I'm looking for? I see them all around $100-150 and then I found this on ebay for 20 bucks... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/99-04...21405607QQrdZ1

Also, how much would a body shop charge to paint and install it? If I get it painted could I install it myself? (is it easy to do?) I'll try and get some pictures for you.

Thanks
Old 12-14-2005, 05:04 PM
Tim37
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Front Bumper Replacement

yeah ist best to goahead and get a new bumper cover there is epoxy that can be used to fix them but it doesn't always hold. i would say install and paint about 5 or 6 hundred
Old 12-14-2005, 05:33 PM
nyjets10
1st Gear Member

Wow, that's a lot. Too much for me. Are there any sites that sell painted front bumpers? Can I take the old one off and install this myself?
Old 12-14-2005, 05:38 PM
ToplessGT
3rd Gear Member

I personally like www.abcexclusive.com Now is the time "pimp" your ride. Why buy stock. Go with a sharp looking bumper cover, get it primed and painted, and then install it yourself. Its not all that hard. Just take a look and what is holding your factory one on. theres really not much. Good luck...
Old 12-14-2005, 05:51 PM
nyjets10
1st Gear Member

I don't think I want to rice it out I want to keep the stock look to it. Those bumper covers are all well over 250, I found the stock one for 20 plus 80 for shipping. If you think its easy to install it myself, I might just get it, get it painted and then install it myself. How much would it be just to get it painted?
Old 12-14-2005, 06:13 PM
ToplessGT
3rd Gear Member

well, if you "choose" to keep it bone stock, then yeah, I would just get it painted. there isnt a price on painting, just have to check around your local shops. I know around here, I had my hood, bumper cover, fenders all painted and it wasnt too bad. If I went down the street, they quoted me almost double the cost. So, that part is up to you. Call around. Like I said, as for doing it yourself, get down and look at whats holding it on. I did mine, but i cant remember what exactly was down there.
But, I do have to disagree with your take on ricing it out. Nothing wrong with a cobra or saleen look. In my opinion, its much better than plain ol' stock. My sister drives a stock one and couldnt handle that..... I am getting new headlights, those are ricer and need to get that taken care of.

[IMG]local://upfiles/6699/387F364333AE4665A4A15BEBFE3DB6BC.jpg[/IMG]
Old 12-14-2005, 10:17 PM
sandcracker21
4th Gear Member

ok, here we go,

first of all, you can easily get a painted new bumper for around 2-3 hundred, but the paint
will NEVER be the exact of your cars for many reasons. never ever

second of all, a body shop could paint it for you, and it will be much closer to the exact color,
at least to the eye

third of all, you could take it to a body shiop and they can melt it down and reshape it....then paint it over
^
^
^
I have actually done this last one, it cost 40$ from a buddy of mines shop, and it looks flawless

weight out your options and decide which one is best for you
Old 12-14-2005, 10:57 PM
nyjets10
1st Gear Member

In your third option do you mean melt down the original, broken bumper and repaint it?
Old 12-15-2005, 01:55 AM
sandcracker21
4th Gear Member

yes....it sounds cheap and dirty, but a good shop can do it no problem and make it look amazing for a fraction of the price of a new part

they will buff and wax the entire bumper and it will look good as new
Old 12-15-2005, 12:40 PM
nyjets10
1st Gear Member

Alright I'll have to call a few body shops to see if they can do it. Did you take the bumper off and give it to them or did you give them your whole car to work on?

Quick Reply: Front Bumper Replacement