General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

4.10's for a cobra?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 04:52 PM
COBRADUDE

Default RE: 4.10's for a cobra?

thats true.. about the tires but man they are expensive to get a good set of tires, then if you are not to careful about spining them its time to change them again after a year, but ebay does have some tires for a good price, just have to wait till next year, how cool would it be if tire prices were like 40 bucks per tire for a 275/40/17 ??
Old 12-20-2005, 10:56 PM
shane361
2nd Gear Member

Yeah..but track tires would actually save me alot of money. I take my car to the track on my street tires, never change the air pressure and light them up before each run. Then there is the occasional burnout..geesh....[&:]
Old 12-20-2005, 11:50 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Our TQ is made down low, but all of our HP is made up top, even with the Eaton.

Our cars would really benefit from a 3.73/3.90/4.10 gear.

You really need to take into consideration what you want to do with your car, street? Strip? Do you plan to run radials, slicks?
Old 12-21-2005, 12:07 AM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sidewayz6.0

Actually, it's a pretty common mod on those. What I don't understand is why everyone is so scared of a 4.10 gear? Everytime I see someone say "You'll get 2 miles to the gallon, or you'll run 10,000 RPM at 75 mph" just tells me that that person doesn't have a clue as to what they're talking about.

Take that for what it's worth.
I dont think its that people are necessarily scared of it, they just feel it will be too agressive for a car that rarely sees the track. Now i know my car is much different, but if my car was a track car i would have done 3.73s, for the lil difference they make from the 3.55s that i chose, but since i wanted a better street car i made my choice accordingly. I posted what i did b/c not everyone always wants to max the **** out of their car at the drag strip, and every time someone asks what gear to put in their car everyone on this forum will automatically shoot 4.10 at them, which may not always be the best gear for what said person wants.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:38 AM
shane361
2nd Gear Member

SVT performance has links such as this one. 95% of the 03/04 Cobra owners say go with 3.73's. Which is a reccomended gear for most standards-Shane
Old 12-21-2005, 01:41 PM
downwardspiral
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: OnyxCobra

Actually, it's a pretty common mod on those. What I don't understand is why everyone is so scared of a 4.10 gear? Everytime I see someone say "You'll get 2 miles to the gallon, or you'll run 10,000 RPM at 75 mph" just tells me that that person doesn't have a clue as to what they're talking about.

I dont think its that people are necessarily scared of it, they just feel it will be too agressive for a car that rarely sees the track. Now i know my car is much different, but if my car was a track car i would have done 3.73s, for the lil difference they make from the 3.55s that i chose, but since i wanted a better street car i made my choice accordingly. I posted what i did b/c not everyone always wants to max the **** out of their car at the drag strip, and every time someone asks what gear to put in their car everyone on this forum will automatically shoot 4.10 at them, which may not always be the best gear for what said person wants.
if your main concern is going faster, 4.10/11 is the best choice. If you dont want to go faster, keep the stock gears. Isnt agressive what you would want?
Old 12-21-2005, 04:54 PM
COBRADUDE

hell yeah fast is want I want.... i use my food money to buy mod's, looks like its mac and cheese tonight, again.. lol, but yeah i will have think about this one, i have taken the car to the track a few times, who knows might just bump it up sometime next year
Old 12-21-2005, 05:01 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: downwardspiral

if your main concern is going faster, 4.10/11 is the best choice. If you dont want to go faster, keep the stock gears. Isnt agressive what you would want?
That's not always the case, you can gain speed without keeping the stock gear and w/o going 4.10+ obviously car specific. Agressive may not be what u want if its a daily driver or has a lot of power.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:41 PM
shane361
2nd Gear Member

Go to SVT performance and ask the question. Most will tell you 3.73s but atleast ask the question where it needs to be asked. Better yet ask REAL tuners what they think is best. Like..Rick at Amazon Racing or Tim at Modular Power House-Shane
Old 12-22-2005, 12:13 PM
downwardspiral
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: downwardspiral

That's not always the case, you can gain speed without keeping the stock gear and w/o going 4.10+ obviously car specific. Agressive may not be what u want if its a daily driver or has a lot of power.

I understand what your saying, but agressive is what I want. It just makes sense to get the most for your money. If it's a daily driver I probably wouldnt recommend 4.11's. But I really wouldnt reccomend any gear swap for that matter. But if it is a daily driver, it probably won't have a hell of alot of power. I can't say that I would put 4.11's in a 600+ horse street car that is daily driven. But I also wouldnt drive a 600+ horse car every day. Power that high isnt for getting grocerys, its for going fast. 4.11's will make it the fastest it can be in a race, but it will take away practicality. I'm talking pretty much stock cobra, with 3.55's. 3.73's would be a waste, and 3.93's are close enough to 4.11's where it would make very little difference. Bottom line is 4.11's for this car or it will be a waste of money.

Quick Reply: 4.10's for a cobra?