General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

stuborn oil plug....

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 01:53 AM
Dsmfighter
3rd Gear Member

Default stuborn oil plug....

Well i've had my mustang for about a month an a half now, and i attempted to do its first oil change. I know how to change oil, dont get me wrong, but for some reason the oil plug refuses to come off. And yes i an turning left...lol... Is this a common thing on mustangs??? The car came with a warranty, and i'm afraid the oil pan may be cross threaded. Any suggestions?
Old 12-20-2005, 03:08 AM
waxyourboard
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: stuborn oil plug....

The plug on my '94 was extremely difficult to get off the first time i changed my oil. Just crank on it, or if you're afraid of breaking something that's not on the warranty, take it to them and have them break it (the bolt... not actually break it) for you
Old 12-20-2005, 11:08 AM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

Who had been changing the oil before you bought the car?It could very well be cross threaded.The "shop" that reinstalled the plug the last time could have unscrewed the plug and found it this way or could have ruined the threads themselves.To fix the screw-up,they used some kind of thread restorer or locker to seal the resulting leak.This could all be wrong but it just don't take a lot of torque to loosen even a tight drain plug.If you know who did the last oil change,take it back and see what they do.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:45 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

put a wrench on it and hit it w/ a mallet.

it could leak if it's not really torqued on there...you can get a new one that has a plastic washer on it so it seals better.

Old 12-20-2005, 01:50 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: Dsmfighter

Well i've had my mustang for about a month an a half now, and i attempted to do its first oil change. I know how to change oil, dont get me wrong, but for some reason the oil plug refuses to come off. And yes i an turning left...lol... Is this a common thing on mustangs??? The car came with a warranty, and i'm afraid the oil pan may be cross threaded. Any suggestions?
lefty loosey...righty tighty... j/k

Seriously though, does it have a nylon or metal washer? If it's metal, it may really be cranked on there. I doubt it's cross threaded or it would be leaking (unless they used some sort of epoxy on it to help seal it)

Just get a breaker bar or put a pipe on the rachet handle. Some people are idiots and really crank oil plugs on instead of using a new washer when the old one leaks. If you don't have either of those (breaker bar or pipe) use a box wrench and leverage the closed end over the handle of the rachet.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:38 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

that happens sometimes when people NEVER change the oil. I have seen an oil plug rusted onto a running car. The dude was burning so much oil that he just kept adding more LOL.

put a torch on her. that will loosen it up.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:56 PM
sprostang
I ♥ Acer

Try an air rachet if you have access to one.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:15 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: sprostang

no,no,no

Old 12-20-2005, 10:20 PM
kartracer55
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sprostang

You mean an impact gun? An air ratchet only has about 50ft lbs of torque(some a few more), and anything else you can apply by hand after that, hardly enough.

I have had this problem before... on an older porsche 928... It wouldnt come off even with a 2ft breaker bar, I had to impact it off, It just "cold welded" so to speak, itself in place... no signs of rust or anything, dont know what happened exactly.

Jim