General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

auto vs. manual

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 03:17 AM
01musgt
1st Gear Member

Default auto vs. manual

i was just wondering which will run faster at the track, a stock 01 mustang gt manual or an auto,
i want to know what you think
how about a programmed auto for faster shifting and longer shift points vs. a manual
Old 12-16-2005, 04:24 AM
waxyourboard
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: auto vs. manual

Been gone over and over in the forums...

But on a stock car with any sort of competent driver, the manual will be faster. With the type of power stockers put out, an auto is too lossy to make up for its quick shifts. Same with the programmed auto.

Now build the motor to where you lose traction at the 1-2 shift with a manual, and build the auto to handle your power, and your auto will be faster.

Top fuelies dont even use gears... They have one... Forwards. Clutch slippage gets them down the first half of the track... until the clutch fuses together because of all the heat
Old 12-16-2005, 04:27 AM
03YellowPony
6th Gear Member

THEORETICALY, the manual is faster than the auto. BUT, look at a dragster..they use either ONE gear or a 2 gear AUTO. With a tuner, an auto can get somewhat closer to a manual. With a stall converter, and a shift kit, it will come closer. With a full manual valve body, it SHOULD do better than a manual. Question..when was the last time you heard of an auto blowing a shift???
Old 12-16-2005, 07:17 AM
Car_Ramrod
4th Gear Member

Question..when was the last time you heard of an auto blowing a shift???
a few days ago. my friends automatic tried to powershift from 2nd to 3rd and missed.

...its 5:15am...ive been up all night studying for a final that I have in 2 hours...I'm just talking out of my ***...sorry. [sm=boohoo.gif]
Old 12-16-2005, 07:53 AM
dawssvt
3rd Gear Member

if they are both stock, the manual will win, but he is right... the dragsters are mostly auto...
Old 12-16-2005, 11:37 AM
shane361
2nd Gear Member

I love this post As mentioned the auto stock will get creamed by the manual stock. But...if you change your gears atleast to 4.10 and then get a good stall converter the auto will win. You just cant shift that fast. There are tons of 03/04 Cobra owners that do two things..change out the IRS to a solid and change the manual to an auto. My opinion is that if you want to romp around town go manual but if you want track go auto with the gears and TC-Shane
Old 12-16-2005, 02:23 PM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

manual all day long....and even built up and auto is still crappier geared than a manual....so there is room for error.

high hp cars use a 2 -speed cuz there is nothing to them....they can rebuild it evry run in about about 1/2 hour.

plus a powerglide 2-speed is the strongest trans you can buy. thats why they use them....

Old 12-16-2005, 02:55 PM
ToplessGT
3rd Gear Member

I have a 95 gt vert auto and trust me, you want manual. I get dusted all the time. It does move out good, but compared to a stang w/ manual or firebird some cameros, i dont have a chance. Even some ricers can take me. Im using it strictly as a cruiser, picks up more chics than the fast hardtops w/ sticks
Old 12-16-2005, 04:06 PM
03YellowPony
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Car_Ramrod

a few days ago. my friends automatic tried to powershift from 2nd to 3rd and missed.

...its 5:15am...ive been up all night studying for a final that I have in 2 hours...I'm just talking out of my ***...sorry. [sm=boohoo.gif]
How do you powershift with an auto?? I've never heard of that one
Old 12-16-2005, 07:02 PM
blackNchrome05
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 03YellowPony

ORIGINAL: Car_Ramrod

How do you powershift with an auto?? I've never heard of that one
i think he was joking...

Quick Reply: auto vs. manual