General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

camber plates

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2005, 08:36 PM
powerkord
2nd Gear Member

Default camber plates

A friend of mine told me that when lowering a car Im going to need camber plates. Hes an idiot for the most part so I would like to hear from you guys as to if this is true. Keep in mind, my car will never see any track time, so absolute alignment within one thousanth of a milimeters tolerance wont be a real problem for me. Furthermore, I would like to ask youre opinions on the KYB AGX shocks and struts, they seem like a pretty good value, but I would like to know if Im wasting my time ordering them.
Old 12-26-2005, 02:08 PM
Tim37
4th Gear Member

Default RE: camber plates

under a inch there is enough room that the car should be able to be alighned. over that yeah ya need to go ahead and get caster camber plates your alignment is improtant it doesnt matter if your are racing it or not it will affect the way the tires wear the way the car handles over all it needs to be right.
Old 12-26-2005, 02:24 PM
powerkord
2nd Gear Member

What about exactly an inch?
Old 12-26-2005, 03:13 PM
Tim37
4th Gear Member

you should be fine with just a inch any good shop shoudl be able to get it right as long as the car hasn't been wrecked.
Old 12-26-2005, 03:20 PM
Vash the Stampede
3rd Gear Member

i got a 2 inch drop. been running almost a year now with NO camber plates.
Old 12-26-2005, 05:17 PM
powerkord
2nd Gear Member

cool, thanks for the help, I appreciate it.
Old 12-27-2005, 03:44 PM
Deannostang
3rd Gear Member

Rule of thumb is anything over 1 1/2" drop you will definitely need caster/chamber plates due to the car's suspension geometry being all frogged up. As Vash can verifly above, you can still "run" without the CC plates with over that drop but the cruel reality is your entire front end will eventually come apart on you and your tire wear will absolutely suck. My suggestion to Vash is simple....get CC plates as soon as possible or your front end expenses will eventually eat you alive! Go to www.steeda.com and read some of the good articles they have on suspension geometry to get a better handle on the subject. Good luck with your ride!
Old 12-27-2005, 05:06 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

ORIGINAL: Deannostang

Rule of thumb is anything over 1 1/2" drop you will definitely need caster/chamber plates due to the car's suspension geometry being all frogged up. As Vash can verifly above, you can still "run" without the CC plates with over that drop but the cruel reality is your entire front end will eventually come apart on you and your tire wear will absolutely suck. My suggestion to Vash is simple....get CC plates as soon as possible or your front end expenses will eventually eat you alive! Go to www.steeda.com and read some of the good articles they have on suspension geometry to get a better handle on the subject. Good luck with your ride!
I agree with the 1.5" "rule of thumb" but I have never seen any of the cars that are lower have anything actually come apart. However, the bump steer can be nasty and changing the front end geometry is very hard on the components. Soooooo, what I'm saying is that yes the shiz could break and it's no fun to drive at all.

You may just need camber plates which are like shims that correct the camber beyiond the minimal adjustments allowed with the sstock set up.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:38 PM
Tim37
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Deannostang

its not gonna cause any excessive damage to your front end parts having it out of caster camber it will cause tire wear and the car to not handle right but lowering yoru car will do more damage to your ball joints than having it out of alignment.