General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Air bags

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 10:46 PM
ByPopularDemand
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Air bags

How do I know if I need a new module
Old 01-05-2006, 12:44 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

If your bags were deployed by an accident you need a new module or you need it reprogramned. If the bags were just takin out or stolen you do not.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:45 AM
ToplessGT
3rd Gear Member

My airbags went off, very minor accident (these bags are way too sensative- 25mph airbags my azz) anyway, I took out the passenger side bag and cut off the flaps that cover it (the "cover" you see sitting in the passenger side is actually 2 pieces of plastic or whatever). I used Armaflex (a strong glue based foam tape) and put the 2 pieces together to make it look original, then glued the piece back into the airbag spot. Worked great and you could never tell the difference.. Of course Im never selling this car, you could get in major trouble selling it like this without letting the buyer know. One thing about the hickscovers, they are just covers, no airbags and dont look like the originals, well in the 95's anyway. My original airbag has a pony on the front, the hickscovers do not. Just a heads up. Anyway, check ebay, you can find some killer deals on bags there. A passenger/driver set can go anywhere from 350-600. Im wanting to just get a driver side (black) to make it look original.... Hope this helps
Old 01-05-2006, 11:53 AM
ToplessGT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: p0rsche23

best price ive got is hixairbagcovers.com they got the cover for the wheel and the side for like 150-175 painted, I need some air bags too and plan on ordering from them.....But i need to know how to um reset the deal where it doesnt say air bag on the front drivers side dash...lol
I went over a curb on access road and they popped out...[:@]

as for the airbag light, I have tried to get rid of that. I got into the bezel and removed the light bulb (which doesnt work, the car will make a beep, beep, beep sound every minute or so). I tried to remove the fuze, no luck. What I did was took out the bezel (very easy to do-while your in there, put in a neon or neon backlit bezel by the way) put some foil over the airbag lightbulb. Not a lot, its worked great for me for 4 years now. Never would know now. Free and cheap way of getting rid of that stupid light.... good luck by the way, I have a 95 gt vert...
Old 01-05-2006, 01:32 PM
ByPopularDemand
5th Gear Member

Yeah the air bags deployed
Old 01-05-2006, 03:11 PM
PipsBlackStang
4th Gear Member

The computer is behind the center consule like behind the radio and cd player. I replaced driver and passenger airbags in a 2000 v6 before and the air bag computer. Pretty easy job just take out your glovebox and it'll make life easier getting out the passenger airbag and putting it back. Also getting to the computer is kinda tricking because of all the tubing for the a/c.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:32 PM
p0rsche23
3rd Gear Member

im just gonna steal someones,be on the look out......hmm I might try that approach on just gluing the passenger side back in,it doesnt look very obvious right now just like its loose....As for the drivers side I think im just going to try hix but make sure its gonna look the same as my old one,with the air bag or not doesnt matter....but as for the part on the drivers side dash-a new module will fix that where it doesnt say air bag any more...
Old 01-05-2006, 11:28 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

When I get a chance I will get a picture of the covers so you can see what they look like in the car. I have the Hicks covers in my car
Old 01-05-2006, 11:49 PM
dajawu
2nd Gear Member

I know a guy that got a 03 Mach 1 from an auctin that had be rolled over. He restored it and made it look really really nice. I was talking to him about it and he said the most expensive part of the project was replacing the two airbags. Somebody had replaced the airbags that had already poped out and put everything back to normal. Well he had to buy two new ones, then he found out he had to replace the computer. Long story short it cost him about 1600 to get them both fixed up. The car looks sweet as hell though. Its an 03 Mach 1 with rouche front. White with two blue racing stripes! Sick ride.
Old 01-06-2006, 12:21 AM
ToplessGT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: p0rsche23

im just gonna steal someones,be on the look out......hmm I might try that approach on just gluing the passenger side back in,it doesnt look very obvious right now just like its loose....As for the drivers side I think im just going to try hix but make sure its gonna look the same as my old one,with the air bag or not doesnt matter....but as for the part on the drivers side dash-a new module will fix that where it doesnt say air bag any more...

yeah, I posted a pic. this is my 95 w/o airbags. You can easily glue the 2 flaps together or use strong tape like i did in the back. Remove the whole metal behind them that they are attached too. I used velcro and double sided tape to hold the flaps to the dash (there is a perfect indentation for velcro, very very easy). Until I figure out what im going to do with the drivers side, I loaded the airbag with dish towels to make it hard, then glued it together. Its been this way for 3 years now and honestly no one notices until i tell them. The way the drivers side bags popped, it left it perfect on both sides (equal). As for the hicks airbags, the sn95's stock has a pony on the airbag, where the hicks do not (well, the last time i checked anyway). Im just looking for a drivers side airbag to put in my (not hooked up though). Hope this helps bro....

[IMG]local://upfiles/6699/4179AAF1237D441C9DEDC5798A558C83.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Air bags