General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

T&L 347 Engine, Your

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 02:10 PM
Greedy
1st Gear Member

Default T&L 347 Engine, Your

Hey, I'm planning on replaceing the motor in my stang (89' convertable, minor bolt on's), what do you guys think of this 347 from T&L engine development, any of you heard of them or have any opinions on the setup. Looks like its a good buy to me, but I'm not very educated in the ways of the motor. So I dont know if it'd be worth buying it or rebuilding my own block to a 347, I'd also plan on it being a daily driver so I need it to reliable. Thanks for the help,

Chris
Old 01-05-2006, 02:13 PM
Greedy
1st Gear Member

Default RE: T&L 347 Engine, Your

Forgot to put the link, and the titles spose to be T&L Engine, your opinion but i accidentally hit enter, well heres the link http://www.tandlengines.com/Street_E.../347_ford.html
Old 01-05-2006, 02:28 PM
Tim37
4th Gear Member

thats not a bad price if its a good engine ita a great price. it looks like it has all the good stuff in it but i have never heard of them so i don't know there reputation.
Old 01-05-2006, 05:08 PM
Crazyfast50stang
5th Gear Member

yeah thats a super deal. Try it out.
Old 01-06-2006, 10:22 PM
Greedy
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the input, it looks like thats the way to go then just needed more opinions. Now for more questions, If I drop that motor in will it go in easly? or will I need to customize the engine bay? Will I need to upgrade my transmission? Should I strengthen my frame and do the suspension to? What do you guys recommend? My goal is to have a reliable, powerful car that I can have some fun with, I want to do it right though. I know I cant just slap in a new motor and have performance. Thanks again,

Chris
Old 01-07-2006, 01:02 AM
P.S.I.cho
4th Gear Member

all the 347 is, is the 302 bored over and stroked, no custom needed, i wouldnt say u need to get a new trans right away but depending on the current condition and how much power you plan on pushing out then yes you may need one, and being a vert your gonna want subfram connectors (wich i would recommend even without more HP), you might also want new control arms to help with traction, and new break setup to help stop all the added power. Not all the things i listed must be done just what you might wanna do down the road
Old 01-07-2006, 02:05 AM
Greedy
1st Gear Member

Well I didnt know if all 302 blocks are the same like mounting wise, they are? Then thats good, Well that motor says 400+HP and 410TQ I have an automatic, do you happen to know whats the TQ rateing for a stock 89 AOD? Also wouldnt I need a different Torque converter? I'll definatly do sub frames I've read some other post and they are highly recommended for verts. What do you think of that engine moocow_v? Thanks for the ideas,

Chris
Old 01-07-2006, 05:03 AM
P.S.I.cho
4th Gear Member

it seems like a decent motor but the thing i would worry about is the maker of the motor, 400 hp isnt too ahrd to reach and they are offering a nice price, how ever the 347 is notorious for burning oil, most manufactures fixed this issue but i dont know who has and who hasnt and of course the thing is if u ask them if it burns oil they will say no cuz they want your money. so thats another thing to look out for.
Old 01-07-2006, 01:20 PM
Tim37
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Greedy

Well I didnt know if all 302 blocks are the same like mounting wise, they are? Then thats good, Well that motor says 400+HP and 410TQ I have an automatic, do you happen to know whats the TQ rateing for a stock 89 AOD? Also wouldnt I need a different Torque converter? I'll definatly do sub frames I've read some other post and they are highly recommended for verts. What do you think of that engine moocow_v? Thanks for the ideas,

Chris
im not sure what they are rated at but a stock aod isn't gonna hold long behind that motor i can tell you that much. unless you plan on driving it like a granny
Old 01-08-2006, 01:05 AM
P.S.I.cho
4th Gear Member

it will hold for a while if i remember right the torque rating on the AOD tranny was around 360 or 370 but i wouldnt run it hard with stock trans

Quick Reply: T&L 347 Engine, Your