General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Sylvania Silverstars

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 09:14 AM
Djs94stang
3rd Gear Member

Default Sylvania Silverstars

I replaced my standard halogens with these and I really can't see how they are brighter. The spectrum is different, it looks a little more blue to me, but I can't say that they provide more light on the road. I live in the boonies with no street lights so I was looking for a little more light and these bulbs sounded like they would do it. Am I missing something....I am just not impressed considering the increase cost in these over standard bulbs.

The only thing that looks better about them is looking at the vehicle...they look much brighter looking at the front end.
Old 01-17-2006, 10:48 AM
TBird232ci
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Sylvania Silverstars

they probably provide more light, but you cant tell too much because there is nothing in front of you to shine on for you to see

if you drive up to your house, youll notice
Old 01-17-2006, 12:29 PM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

Reinstall one of your old bulbs on one side only and see if there's a difference.I have them and they are a whiter light but didn't see much difference in distance.
Old 01-17-2006, 01:14 PM
Djs94stang
3rd Gear Member

I sort of did do that. When I replaced only one bulb I turned on the lights and looked at the car head on and could see a big difference. Thing is, the brightness didn't seem to translate into on the road performance. All I can say is that the light that the Silverstars give off looks more blue compared to the yellowish of the stock bulbs but distance and the amount of light do not seem any better to me.

Since I posted this, I found some other posts on the net that indicate a short life span on the Silverstars so I may not have anything to worry about except the small dent in my wallet. On the same post someone even mentioned that real world brightness is better on the Sylvania Xtra brights which is almost what I am getting at. I did have a Wagner bulb that was equivalent to the Xtra brights prior to installing the Silverstars and by my assessment appeared to light up the road better than the Silverstars.
Old 01-18-2006, 12:32 PM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

The DOT has strict rules on how much light a headlight can put out and be street legal.Some bulbs appear to put out more light than others because of the distance of the filament from the reflector.The closer the filament to the reflector the narrower the beam.(generally)This makes the light look brighter down the road than a wider beam.High performance motorcycle bulbs are notorius for this.You get a he11ish beam straight ahead but off to the side it lacks visibility.
Old 01-18-2006, 02:28 PM
justingt
3rd Gear Member

if they seem more blue that means you mighta bought cool blue by mistake which is less luminescent (wow big word) then silverstars
Old 01-18-2006, 02:40 PM
Djs94stang
3rd Gear Member

There's no mistaking the big word "Silverstar" across the package. I may not be too bright (no pun intended) but I can read.. After using them, there is no question in my mind...I'd never buy them again. I'd go for the Xtra-brights and leave it at that. The mistake I made was that I put them in my truck also so now I have two vehicles with lighting that I don't care for. That was dumb on my part.
Old 01-18-2006, 03:14 PM
closer9
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Djs94stang

There's no mistaking the big word "Silverstar" across the package. I may not be too bright (no pun intended) but I can read.. After using them, there is no question in my mind...I'd never buy them again. I'd go for the Xtra-brights and leave it at that. The mistake I made was that I put them in my truck also so now I have two vehicles with lighting that I don't care for. That was dumb on my part.
You're not alone. I had the same results with my '03 F150. I will not buy them again. I actually took them back, and Autozone gave me my money back...
Old 01-18-2006, 11:42 PM
ToplessGT
3rd Gear Member

so, too help us all out, what bulbs do you guys recommend? Im looking for something bright, but not sooooo bright that people flash their brights at you. I have the cool blues and thinkn that they completely blow. I was looking into the silverstars, but saw this thread. Thanks for helping me not make that same mistake. I see some people out there w/ some kickazz lights and look really white and bright, but have no idea what to get now, (since im guessing that they are not silverstars)... Thanks guys
Old 01-18-2006, 11:55 PM
beheivjer
2nd Gear Member

i use apc lights that i get at my shop and they are considerable amount brighter but we have had people complain about them melting the housing. also if you are worried about that the wagner true views are very good too.

Quick Reply: Sylvania Silverstars