General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

convertible

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 05:01 PM
cviteri
2nd Gear Member

Default convertible

how can i clean the top of my vert cause is losing color and some1 told me not 2 put armor cause it holds the dirt more and it is going 2 look even worse.
96 vert if this helps.
thanx
Old 01-19-2006, 11:33 PM
P.S.I.cho
4th Gear Member

Default RE: convertible

most places that sell detailing items, will have a convertible top cleaner, the tops are a type of cloth, so usually just soap and water and rinse cleans them up
Old 01-20-2006, 01:20 AM
ekthrilla
3rd Gear Member

baby oil does wonders. it is alot less expensive than armor all but it has the same effect. your top will look brand new.
Old 01-21-2006, 01:08 PM
cviteri
2nd Gear Member

shyt thanx
Old 01-22-2006, 06:45 PM
dobry
2nd Gear Member

actually I use armor all on my vinyl top and it works great, it does not collect any dirt -- dont believe that. disadvantege is that any rain will quickly wash it off and it will go back to normal. never tried any other oil tough
Old 01-22-2006, 07:02 PM
ByPopularDemand
5th Gear Member

Drive through a car wash, then put whatever top cleaner you want.
Old 01-23-2006, 10:43 AM
slo5.0
1st Gear Member

cleanser and a soft brush, do small area,rinse well then move to another area. make sure you rinse well. then apply "vinylex" i think that is how it is spelled, comes in a lite green spray bottle. don't use anything with silicon in it.
Old 01-23-2006, 03:08 PM
Deannostang
3rd Gear Member

First off, the owner's manual even discourages going through a car wash with a convertible. If you should go through any kind of a car wash, be sure it is the "brushless" variety. If you have anything other than a perfectly new, "tight" top, the forced water spray and forced air drying will more than likely cause a couple of leaks during the process.

Yes, there are convertible top cleaners that do a pretty good job. A good quality over-the-counter car wash liquid will clean the top fairly good as well. DO NOT PUT ARMORALL ON YOUR TOP AS IT WILL EVENTUALLY RESULT IN THE TOP BECOMING BRITTLE AND CRACKING! Same with your dash. One product I use (or line of products as they are all excellent) are the Meguiar's NXT products. Meguiar products have been around a long time, first starting out selling to body shops. The following link is for a product of their's I have used on my '98 convertible (black) and it works great not to mention lasting a long time. You have to apply it with a clean cloth of somekind and then rub it in with a terry towel to buff off the excess. http://www.autobarn.net/menxtgetepr.html

By the way, all Mustang convertibles, except Cobras, use the vinyl variety of convertible top. The cobras use canvas much the same a Mercedes and BMW. Cleaning verts with that kind of top is a totally different ball game. There are products available just for cleaning canvas tops. The only way you could possibly have a canvas top (besides having a Cobra) is if someone has replaced your top at one time and opted to pay the additional required to go with canvas versus vinyl. Even the '05 & '06's have vinyl. Standard convertible Mustangs utilize the vinyl tops simply because they are a much more forgiving material to try and keep clean. If you have a "white" vinyl top that is stained, dull or discolored in anyway, I have heard using Westley's Bleach White works well to brighten the white back up. That product was designed many years ago for white walls on tires, especially the wide whites. I suppose any product formulated to clean white walls would work to some extent on a white "vinyl" convertible top. Good luck!
Old 01-23-2006, 03:27 PM
ByPopularDemand
5th Gear Member

Ill put a pic of my top up later it works fine
Old 01-24-2006, 05:29 PM
the dit

Deannostang is right, I have had convertibles with vinyl tops for 20 years, armor all will eventually let the top crack. Oils of any kind are a bad idea, vinyl is a petrolium product and you will eventually deteriorate the top, same with silicon based products. Meguires does have excellent products, but not the cheapest. Beats buying a new top every few years. I am currently testing a teflon based product on my 93, but the top is already old and cracking...I will know in a year or so if it's woth using.

Quick Reply: convertible