General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

car still wont start...PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 04:58 PM
ekthrilla
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: car still wont start...PLEASE HELP

i dont know what to tell you. i would have to be there to see whats going on. sorry man.
Old 01-22-2006, 05:08 PM
Idrum88
2nd Gear Member

ok here is another strange thing that happend.....theres a little plug that comes off the wiring harness right next to the ignition control module.....i think its the little plug that they try to get u to buy on ebay thats supposed to give u HP or somthing.....but anyway i unplugged it and the car started...it idled a little rough...but it ran.....so i shut it off and put it back in and it still started....and ran fine.....so do u think taking this out and starting it reset something??? i just want to know if i fixed it or just happend that way
Old 01-22-2006, 05:42 PM
ekthrilla
3rd Gear Member

i think you are talking about the spout connector. it should be a sensor with a little gray chip in it. is this what your talking about. if so..then this is how you set your timing. you unplug that with your motor off. then crank up your car and set your timing. once you timing is set, then you plug it back in. with it unplugged you can set your btdc timing. and when you plug it back in, your computer advances it for you.
Old 01-22-2006, 07:19 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Idrum88

ok here is another strange thing that happend.....theres a little plug that comes off the wiring harness right next to the ignition control module.....i think its the little plug that they try to get u to buy on ebay thats supposed to give u HP or somthing.....but anyway i unplugged it and the car started...it idled a little rough...but it ran.....so i shut it off and put it back in and it still started....and ran fine.....so do u think taking this out and starting it reset something??? i just want to know if i fixed it or just happend that way
You could have a connector problem at the ign module or a bad stator (pick-up coil) sensor inside the dizzy. The stator sensor is the one that generates the pulse and #1 cyl. id for amplification by the module to fire the coil and for the ECM to control timing. It reads like an intermittent problem, it could happen again. Check the attached pic of a stator sensor, to replace it you would have to remove and tear down the dizzy. If you can, try checking the system for KOEO codes if you have a code 16 or 18, the stator might need replacement. If the stator sensor is the culprit, you might consider replacing the distributor for a remfg. one, sometimes is less expensive than having to deal with removing the distributor's gear and running the chance of breaking it.

My 2¢. GL
Old 01-22-2006, 07:46 PM
Idrum88
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ekthrilla

i think you are talking about the spout connector. it should be a sensor with a little gray chip in it. is this what your talking about. if so..then this is how you set your timing. you unplug that with your motor off. then crank up your car and set your timing. once you timing is set, then you plug it back in. with it unplugged you can set your btdc timing. and when you plug it back in, your computer advances it for you.
so why do you think my car started when i unplugged it.....when it has not been starting this whole time??? is this all making since to anyone or is it just coincadence?
Old 01-22-2006, 09:15 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

so why do you think my car started when i unplugged it.....when it has not been starting this whole time??? is this all making since to anyone or is it just coincadence?
If you have a connector contact problem or an intermittent wire within the connector, it does make sense. BTSTDTRT(=been there, seen that, done that, repaired that)....had a chance to check the system for codes?. LUK(=Let Us Know)
Old 01-23-2006, 12:34 AM
Idrum88
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Joel5.0

If you have a connector contact problem or an intermittent wire within the connector, it does make sense. BTSTDTRT(=been there, seen that, done that, repaired that)....had a chance to check the system for codes?. LUK(=Let Us Know)
so is that a bad thing or do u think its fixed....because ive gone to a few places and its cranked fine ever since.....so i really dont know....or should i be looking into replacing some part?
Old 01-23-2006, 10:12 AM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

Unless the problem repeats itself,...no need to replace anything (why fix something that is working ok?). It's a possibility though, that only time and use will tell. You might have taken care of the contact problem when you "wiggled" the wires by disconnecting the SPOUT plug, but again, time will tell. Nothing to worry about. If you want to be on the safe side w/out replacing any parts, just do a KOEO self-test after a couple of days of use, if you don't get codes 16 and 18 showing up, no problem to worry about. My 2¢. GL
Old 01-23-2006, 12:39 PM
Idrum88
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Joel5.0

Unless the problem repeats itself,...no need to replace anything (why fix something that is working ok?). It's a possibility though, that only time and use will tell. You might have taken care of the contact problem when you "wiggled" the wires by disconnecting the SPOUT plug, but again, time will tell. Nothing to worry about. If you want to be on the safe side w/out replacing any parts, just do a KOEO self-test after a couple of days of use, if you don't get codes 16 and 18 showing up, no problem to worry about. My 2¢. GL
so theres not anything that could have possibly just been reset when i unplugged that little chip....because it seems to be running fine now...but like i said....it was not working so i replaced all those parts...then i just unplugged that chip and it fired up fine.....ran rough but fine....and when i turned it off and put it back in it ran like it always had....so im jst trying to make since of all this
Old 01-24-2006, 12:42 AM
Idrum88
2nd Gear Member

what is btcd timing???