General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Newbie Questions re Saleen vs GT

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 01:11 PM
hankae

Default Newbie Questions re Saleen vs GT

I hope this is the right forum to ask these questions. I am looking to purchase a new 2006 mustang. I have never owned a mustang before and know very little about modding. I am just starting to do some research and thought this would be a good place to ask some questions. I visited a dealer in Illinois yesterday that sells Saleen mustangs. The cars looked incredible. I was most interested in the S281 supercharged coupe. The sticker price was about $53,000. So now the questions:

1) How highly regarded is Saleen by Mustang enthusiasts?
2) Is the cost of this vehicle "worth the extra expense" (resale value, performance, etc.)
3) Am I better off buying a loaded GT and then modding for additional performance and looks?
4) Anyone with experience in buying a Saleen, have you been able to negotiate any discount off MSRP?

Essentially, I would like a high performance mustang. What route would you go if you could spend about $45K? Any other recommendations are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks
Hank

Old 01-25-2006, 01:45 PM
newbikerider2003
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Newbie Questions re Saleen vs GT

More info please!

What kind of performance cars have you owned or driven?[sm=gears.gif]
Old 01-25-2006, 01:54 PM
MustangChris04
5th Gear Member

Mustangs are great cars but dont just jump and get one. Check out the new C6 vette. You may be happier with that for 45k...
Old 01-25-2006, 02:12 PM
hankae

Thanks for the feedback. I have never really owned a high-performance vehicle before. Interestingly, I did look at the C6 and like it very much as well. Anyone care to give me the breakdown of how they see a highly modified Saleen vs a C6?

Thanks
Hank
Old 01-25-2006, 02:24 PM
doc_phibz
1st Gear Member

I feel that Saleen is just a name. The cars are known for their handling, but as far as speed and acceleration, the aftermarket is full of of options. If you really want a killer car wait a year and get the GT500 for like $38,000, and Carrolll Shelby had a hand in that (so you might get his signature on that one also). Saleen's do hold value, but that's b/c they are limited and numbered, but so are cobras and roush. The S281's are nice cars, but other supercharger companies produce higher numbers.
I know, all the work is done for you already and it's a Saleen(so numbered and limited) with awesome performance, but is it worth the cash? If you have that kind of cash to spend, the i'd go with an older Saleen S281 since they even more limited, and i'm sure you can find many in excellent shape, and there more rare than a new one(and cheaper). Then save some more cash and get the GT500 later....next, a bigger garage. or just put up about 10 more grand a get a Z06 with supercar status.
On a personal note, i feel the roush look better than the saleen.
Good luck
Old 01-25-2006, 02:33 PM
hankae

Thanks for your reply. The dealers I have spoken to in Ilinois will not be selling the 2007 Shelby GT500 at list or anywhere close to list. Many claim they are only going to get one or two in stock and will sell them to prefered customers or at Market Value. No less than $50-$60K maybe even higher.
Old 01-25-2006, 03:03 PM
gt96stang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hankae

Thanks for your reply. The dealers I have spoken to in Ilinois will not be selling the 2007 Shelby GT500 at list or anywhere close to list. Many claim they are only going to get one or two in stock and will sell them to prefered customers or at Market Value. No less than $50-$60K maybe even higher.
Yes, you are not going to get any gt500 or c6 zo6 for 45k that you are looking to spend. The new zo6 is probably upwards of 70k.
Old 01-25-2006, 05:03 PM
HaV
5th Gear Member

I test drove an 05GT and my friends dad's 05 C6... and for the money the C6 is definatly worth the difference between the 2. The feel of the C6 is just unreal.. it rides and accelerates so smooth and it handles just so awesome. The interior of the c6 is a lot nicer IMO, and its got some cool features like the different suspension setups you can select on the fly while driving. The vette just isnt that practical as a daily driver though... sometimes you just have to have a back seat.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:51 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

It all comes down to what you're looking for. Are you looking for an awesome performing daily driver? Or you just looking for a weekend toy? A corvette is an awesome car, but that's if you're going for cool factor. I don't know anyone who can afford a corvette, or has one, that would run them around racing and getting a thrill out of them. Most corvette owners simply ride them as a status symbol. Which is one thing that turns me off about them. Also, I still haven't warmed up to the C6 body style.......I miss the hideaway headlights. These new vettes look too much like a poormans Ferrari (a plus for some, but un-vette-like to me).
The new Saleens? Too pricey as far I'm concerned. But, if you have the money....and love how they look....and you want a good performing muscle car......it could be worth your investment. It's a good turnkey upper-performing mustang.
The GT500........honestly, if you could get your hands on one....do it. That is, if money isn't an object. I have a feeling those cars are gonna be in short supply, and will be worth money some day as I don't think you'll ever see the GT500 name on a mustang ever again in the future. Plus, with 475 HP and a back seat.....I'd go with that over a C6 anyday. But, that's just me.
But really, how much money are you looking to spend? A Z06 is gonna set you back at least 76 to 80 K. You can buy or build a really awesome performing mustang for far cheaper. You entered this thread expressing an interest in the Saleen mustangs. I think some mustang enthusiasts around here kind of think of them as the "snooty guy's" mustang. Don't know when that rep started to develop. But I can tell you that you will get plenty of compliments and turn plenty of heads with a 281SC or 281E.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:03 PM
marx91
3rd Gear Member

get an '04 cobra

Quick Reply: Newbie Questions re Saleen vs GT