General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Tried To Flush My Tranny Fluid. I Had Problems. Please Help., Leaking, jerking, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 10:14 PM
Yahmoncool

Default Tried To Flush My Tranny Fluid. I Had Problems. Please Help., Leaking, jerking, etc.

My fluid needed replacing. So I followed my Hayne's manual instructions and drained the fluid and put the new filter/gasket on. It only let me put in 6 quarts plus the Lucas Tranny-fix fluid (it says it takes 9.5 in my car manual) before it started leaking like crazy out of the bottom of the car.

I started the car (probably a bad idea) and let the engine rev at 3000rpms (like Hayne's said to do). Now when I drive the slipping is even worse than before and it jerks violently when going into first gear half the time.

The guy at Firestone said I might have messed up my Tranny - is this possible/likely? Or do I just need to do have someone do it the right way now?

Please reply ASAP - I'm kind of paranoid.

PS - its a '90 Mustang with an Auto Tranny and 2.3L 4-cylinder engine.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:19 PM
corvetteguy
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Tried To Flush My Tranny Fluid. I Had Problems. Please Help., Leaking, jerking, etc.

My guess is that the torque converter
holds a few quarts. It does not
drain out.
Sounds like fluid level is low.
Check dipdtick in neutral car running.
Old 02-04-2006, 12:49 AM
Yahmoncool

Default RE: Tried To Flush My Tranny Fluid. I Had Problems. Please Help., Leaking, jerking, etc.

If the fluid level is low then why would it be pouring all over the place?

The dipstick appears like it is way over full... the fluid goes far beyond the cross-hatched area of the stick. I'm so confused.
Old 02-04-2006, 01:38 AM
03redGT
3rd Gear Member

first of all im not calling you dumb, but are you checking your trannie fluid with the car running? thats how its supposed to be done, otherwise, yes it will show it to be overfull. i think youve got yourself a problem. its either too ful or really low. are you using the correct fluid? that will defenetly make a big difference. usually ford trannies take
mercon, mercon 4 or mercon 5. late models take mercon 5 or equivalent. if your using the wrong fluid in a ford trannie, your car is probably pissed at you.
Old 02-04-2006, 02:21 AM
Yahmoncool

Yes the car was running. I'm just confused why the slipping is worse now than it was before.

Also - if I redo this. Do I need to leave room for the Lucas trans-fix stuff or do I just fill the fluid like normal and just add that on top of the fluid?
Old 02-04-2006, 03:17 AM
03redGT
3rd Gear Member

put the trans fix stuff in first, then subtract that ammount from the trannie fluid and fill it up.
Old 02-04-2006, 03:11 PM
Yahmoncool

Okay so its not leaking any more. It needed an extra quart of fluid so I put some in and drove for a few miles. It works better now, but still slips when going into first gear most of the time (like when I'm at a red light and then lean hard on the pedal). If I take it easy it doesn't slip - just when I work it hard.

But its only going from a dead stop. It doesn't slip when I push the pedal hard going at a faster speed. Ideas?
Old 02-04-2006, 03:46 PM
97cobraGAD!!!
1st Gear Member

sounds like the clutch to me.
Old 02-04-2006, 03:53 PM
Yahmoncool

Its an automatic.
Old 02-04-2006, 04:03 PM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

sounds like you need a trans to me.sounds like the low gear clutches have had it.those 4cly. auto trans where problem childs from day one and they get $$$$ to fix also.

Quick Reply: Tried To Flush My Tranny Fluid. I Had Problems. Please Help., Leaking, jerking, etc.