General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help me please!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2004, 08:02 PM
Ormist
1st Gear Member

Default Help me please!

I installed a new thermostat and when I started my car it started to leak coolant, this happened to me before but after like 10 minutes when the gaskent binds itself to the metal it stops, is this normal????
Old 02-01-2004, 09:28 PM
mcgyver8062
1st Gear Member

Default Help me please!

No, it shoudn't leak at all, tell me you didn't put a cheap piece of chrome thermostat housing on it, they are terrible to keep from leaking. If you just replaced the stock one did you make sure you put the gasket under it, or I have seen a rubber o-ring seal. But if you do it correctly, tightening them evenly it should not leak!
Old 02-01-2004, 09:51 PM
FastFoedBoy
1st Gear Member

Default Help me please!

If it is chrome. Wouldn't a slight bead of sealer cure that?</P>
Old 02-01-2004, 10:16 PM
Ormist
1st Gear Member

Default Help me please!

Nah theres no chrome, and if I read correctly the gasket is on the elbow side right? If thats right anyone have any idea why its leaking, Imean it leaks very bad.. and I should of said for more like 20 minutes...
Old 02-02-2004, 04:39 AM
johnc
1st Gear Member

Default Help me please!

Originally Posted by Ormist
Nah theres no chrome, and if I read correctly the gasket is on the elbow side right? If thats right anyone have any idea why its leaking, Imean it leaks very bad.. and I should of said for more like 20 minutes...
</P>

Did you use different bolts? One may have too long a shank and the thread bottoms out on it so it feels tight, but has a small gap?</P>
Old 02-02-2004, 10:38 AM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

Default Help me please!

I bet when installed the stat it slipped down and is out of the groove and has put a crack in the stat housing...hope not..but check it..
Old 02-02-2004, 11:21 AM
hotrodman
I ♥ Acer

Default Help me please!

dont get a cheap gasket....
Old 02-02-2004, 03:02 PM
TheGmKiller331
I ♥ Acer

Default Help me please!

Vfast hit it on the head.Thats what happened i did it myself last summer and was pissed.</P>

Since you have to do it again go ahead and get a tube of RTV silicone and go around the housing and then apply your thermostat and then the gasket and allow this 10-15 minutes to set up.This will ensure you that your gasket and thermostat stay in place.And whatever you do do not over tighten those bolts especially on an aluminum intake.</P>