General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New to the Forum

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 11:48 AM
chandler_711

Default New to the Forum

My name is Jared. I am 25 years old and live in Florence, AL.
I have been saving for a mustang for about 3 years. I have roughly 16k to spend on one. I have posted a thread in the StangMods section. I am looking for advice on what type of mustang to purchase. I pretty much outlined what I want (about 500 rwhp)

Please reply to my posts with advice, or PM me.

Thanks everyone! I look forward to talking to most of you! I will document pretty much everything that I do to whatever mustang I decide to go with!

Old 02-05-2006, 12:41 PM
HC_CrAzYHoRsE
Super Moderator

Default RE: New to the Forum

welcome aboard !!! if you want to go the easiest and most reliable route to get an easy 500hp get a nice 03/04 cobra and do a pulley and exhaust swap ...bang! there you go 500hp what kind of model are you looking for ?
Old 02-05-2006, 12:54 PM
chandler_711

Not really picky on the model. But, I only have about 16k to spend. My patience has lasted a long time so far, but I can't wait to save another 10 grand for the 03/04 cobra. I have the bug now. REALLY BAD!!! So what I think I am leaning towards is getting maybe a 99 cobra and just s/c'ing it. Will I be able to pull out the numbers I want from that? Also, more questions....

Considering I get a 99/00 Cobra......

1. What kind of clutch will I need?
2. Will the stock mission hold up?
3. Will the rear end hold up?
4. What other engine mods should I mate with this?
5. Any thing I am missing?

Thanks in advance for all replies!!!
Old 02-05-2006, 04:22 PM
ACE
4th Gear Member

hey welcome to the forums glad to see your itchin for a mustang! if you want 500 hp car, try going for a fox body since parts are cheap and with the money you have, you could make 500 hp easily and have a nice car!
Old 02-05-2006, 04:51 PM
HC_CrAzYHoRsE
Super Moderator

if you're interested in superchargers check out this link

http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/...index_ford.asp

alot of good info on superchargers, what you need, what power they'll put out on different types of models.

as 82FBGT50 mentionned a 5.0 fox makes great power for very little money.
Old 02-05-2006, 04:54 PM
Sonic3v
4th Gear Member

Welcome! Try to live past your 30's with a ride like that
Old 02-06-2006, 11:55 AM
chandler_711

Thanks for all the replies guys. Everyone thinks I am a D A here because I have the bug so bad. I have been talking about this damn car for about 3 years. Everyone is just tired of hearing about it. It's good to know there are more of us out there. lol.

I am not trying to sound stupid here again, but is a fox body the 95-98 body style?

Not real sure here on all the mustang jargon. I have been doing my best to NOT research anything on the net until I had a good bit of money saved up. I just didn't want to lose my patience and buy something that I am not completely happy with. I am sure you all know the feeling.

I am really leaning towards the 99-04 body style. I was not very happy with the body when it first came out, but now I absolutely love it. My dream has been to get the 04 cobra, but my $$ that I have will not allow me to do so. That being said, I would love to have the 99 Cobra and just build it.

What makes the difference in the 99 Cobra engine and the 04 Cobra engine? I realize the 03/04 is blown, but what are the other specs on the engine? Just talking engine-wise here, but could I just buy something like a Kenne-Bell S/C for a 99 and expect the same #'s as the 03/04?

Would I need to build the internals on the 99?

Thanks again for everything everyone! Please let me know if my questions are redundant.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:12 PM
angcobra
4th Gear Member

Welcome,
I am not that far from you, here in Birmingham.
The 99 Cobra engine is light years different from the 04 Cobra engine, all the way down to the 99 is Aluminum and the 04 is Cast Iron.
500 RWHP is troublesome point because it takes money to get there and it is beyond the bounds of most stock blocks.
You should first pic the body style you want and just plan from there.
Old 02-06-2006, 02:52 PM
SunsokuStang
2nd Gear Member

Fox body's are from 79'-93',and 94'-98' is the sn95 body style
Old 02-06-2006, 03:11 PM
HC_CrAzYHoRsE
Super Moderator

if you like the 99-01 cobra style then you should go with that, although they are inferior to the 03/04 in many ways they're still great cars and much better than a regualr GT. they already come with big brakes, nice suspension and the 32v... if you just slap on a vortech with aftercooler you will be VERY close to 500hp (at the crank, around 420 at the wheels). you should be having one hell of a good time with that. as money permitts further down the road you can always add the usual bolt-ons, smaller pulley etc.. etc.. you're goal shouldn't be really hard to reach.

Quick Reply: New to the Forum