General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Repairing Drag Radials

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 04:49 PM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

Default Repairing Drag Radials

I am pretty much sure that there are alot of members on here who use Drag Radials, regardless of brand, as their daily driver rear tires.

Since the tires are made up of slightly different compounds, allowing them to be stickier, softer, and wahtever else they are, what happens when you get a nail in them?

Ive really only got two or so quesitons pertaining to this:

Can a drag radial be plugged similar to other tires. As in, if the nail or other particle is not too close to the sidewall, can a normal tire shop plug the hole safely.

and

If they can be plugged safely for daily driving, would you be able to use them at a drag strip, or anywhere else actually, to do a burnout and get them really sticky again?

I've been wondering this for sometime now, but in a conversation i had with ethan (emann) i asked about it and neither of us were really sure.

IF you know, of have any experiance doing so, please let us know.
thanks in advance
clint
Old 02-17-2006, 07:12 PM
codyss

Default RE: Repairing Drag Radials

When it comes to any kind of performance tire the manufactures say that the original speed rating is compromised by any defect or repair.

If you had to have a drag radial fixed I wouldn't recommend a plug at all. Take the time and use a interior patch.

As for heating them up and using them agian I wouldn't junk the tire but I would be really careful since the compound is so different than a street radial.
Old 02-17-2006, 07:40 PM
marx91
3rd Gear Member

i personally wouldnt repair or use a repaired DR, i dont think a plug or patch
is gonna hold up too long, they are too soft for that
Old 02-17-2006, 07:44 PM
1BIGMOFO
5th Gear Member

i would agree, I have BF drag ta's and i would patch it from the inside also.... I have a bike too and I know people who ride on plugs but I would never do it myself.. Take the time and the money and fix it right the first time and you wont have a future problem, Like being stuck in the pit with a flat tire and no way home... While everyone else is having fun! I have friende that have blown out plugs, heating up there rear tire at the local drag strip.
Old 02-17-2006, 08:12 PM
Tim37
4th Gear Member

as some one that worked in a tire shop and has pluged and patched a **** load of tires.

i would bee perfectly fine with a patch or tube.
Old 02-17-2006, 11:19 PM
kartracer55
3rd Gear Member

I wouldnt plug... maybe if your using nitrogen but not if your using regular air. As the tires heat up the air pressure inside increases. On small kart tires I have seen as much as 5 psi... Look how much more air a drag tire will hold; look how much it will expand. Anybody take before and after pressures just for kicks?

Jim
Old 02-17-2006, 11:23 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

ORIGINAL: marx91

i personally wouldnt repair or use a repaired DR, i dont think a plug or patch
is gonna hold up too long, they are too soft for that
I'd have to agree. I'd hate to be in excess of 100 mph and have a blow out on the track. Just not worth the risk.
Old 02-18-2006, 02:13 AM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

consensus is: Dont risk it..

that sucks,, i dont have anything wrong, but that would suck to ruin a 180+ dollar tire on a damn nail

guess thats just another reason to get my 15" combo early
Old 02-18-2006, 10:07 AM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

I put a patch on the inside of a ET Street and they are way softer then the drag radial and they even wrinkle like a slick and have not had any problems yet with many drag strip pass at over 120 mph and also some street driving. but I am tight A$$ and could not bring my self to throwing away a tire with a couple hundred miles on it
Old 02-18-2006, 12:46 PM
Tim37
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 72MachOne99GT

consensus is: Dont risk it..

that sucks,, i dont have anything wrong, but that would suck to ruin a 180+ dollar tire on a damn nail

guess thats just another reason to get my 15" combo early
so just because a bunch of guys that probably have never even mounted a tire say don't your gonna toss the tire? if in doupt contact bfg and see what they say. like i said if you are in complete doupt put a tube in it.

Quick Reply: Repairing Drag Radials