General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What does everyone think?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 02:08 PM
hunter9s
1st Gear Member

Default RE: What does everyone think?

I think you have made some good choices for your start of modding. I have the Diablo Predator Sport for tuning. I have the the other mods you have just a different brand. I have a 2002 GT. I have a manual tranny and went withthe 373rear and Im glad I did and at the end of this post you will understand why. I have underdrive pullys and this week I am ordering they new BBK combination 75mm plenium / throttle body. You save overle 50 dollars buying this as a kit. I am disabed, I owned a Plumbing and Heating company and I started having back trouble. After 3 surgeries I had to sell my company and I am SSD and I hate itI'm only 46. I do have another surgery in march I am praying this surgeon can fix me. Anyhow the point is I used my plumbing skills to make a Cold Air Intake of my own design. It took weeks to get it right but I think I am on to something. I did all my mods and saved the Diablo for last. I noticed a big differance that car really woke up. I am going to get it dynoed after the 75mm plenium and TB. Right now that car is just flat out fun to drive wonce I got my CAI the way I wanted it. I just wish that someone from this forum could be here to validate all I have done. Without the Diablo I had to watch or it would break loose in 1st and a little in 2nd and just ran awesome. Then I put the Diablo on HOLY COW ith the 373s I think the 410s would have been the wrong choice. As torqiie as this car is now I don't think you would be able to keep the car hooked up. On a damp road the other day I wasn't really driving that hard and it broke loose in 3rd gear! So again 373 it a good choice if you are going to mod it up anymore
Good Luck with your car If you were going to stop modding right now a 410 would have been a better choice.

Steve
Old 02-19-2006, 02:33 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

ORIGINAL: dsum14

Personally I prefer 3.73's. I drove a roush with 4.10's and didn't notice much of an increase off the line than my 3.73's. It also seemed as though the rpm's were much higher on the highway than before. I feel too that I had to shift way too much in the city. It is a personal opinion which gear to go with, but I would suggest going with the 4.10's for your automatic if you don't mind the small decrease in gas mileage and the higher rpm's. I think 3.73's are more for the novice driver because of the mechanical advantage creates problems with shifting at the drag strip. If you aren't a very good driver you will have problems with shifting 3 times instead of two in the quarter mile. Isn't everything on this site personal opinion anyways? I thought that was the point. Besides, you can go to one person and ask them a question and they will give you an answer, but the same question to another guy will result in a totally different answer. But hey! That's only one persons opinion.
D
To a point yes, but there are people here who have built numerious fast cars and guys that actually race in a heads up type series, and have experiance in these things that most do not have. Your entitled to your opinion of course but many times peoples opinions here are based on very very little experiance or knowlage, thats the problem with forums. I guess I look at things a bit differant than many people here. My attitude is either you want to fast or not. You will always make a sacriface when you try and make a car faster, rpm/mpg is just on of those things.
Old 02-19-2006, 02:44 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

ORIGINAL: hunter9s

I think you have made some good choices for your start of modding. I have the Diablo Predator Sport for tuning. I have the the other mods you have just a different brand. I have a 2002 GT. I have a manual tranny and went withthe 273rear and Im glad I did and at the end of this post you will understand why. I have underdrive pullys and this week I am ordering they new BBK combination 75mm plenium / throttle body. You save overle 50 dollars buying this as a kit. I am disabed, I owned a Plumbing and Heating company and I started having back trouble. After 3 surgeries I had to sell my company and I am SSD and I hate itI'm only 46. I do have another surgery in march I am praying this surgeon can fix me. Anyhow the point is I used my plumbing skills to make a Cold Air Intake of my own design. It took weeks to get it right but I think I am on to something. I did all my mods and saved the Diablo for last. I noticed a big differance once I got my CAI the way I wanted it. I just wish that someone from this forum could be here to validate all I have done. Without the Diablo I had to watch or it would break loose in 1st and a little in 2nd and just ran awesome. Then I put the Diablo on HOLY COW that car really woke up. I am going to get it dynoed after the 75mm plenium and TB. Right now that car is just flat out fun to drive with the 273s I think the 410s would have been the wrong choice. As torqiie as this car is now I don't think you would be able to keep the car hooked up. On a damp road the other day I wasn't really driving that hard and it broke loose in 3rd gear! So again 273 it a good choice if you are going to mod it up anymore
Good Luck with your car If you were going to stop modding right now a 410 would have been a better choice.

Steve
I really hope you mean 3.73's and that 2.73 was just a typo. I agree that more gear will make a car slightly harder to hook up but thats just part of building a good all around performer. As for highway RPM I still do not understand how people can argue with basic math? The formula proves my point. Lets see if I can type this so it makes sence. Take your current rpm at a givin speed (lets use 2000 rpm at 60 mph for example) and divide the rpm by your current gear ratio (2000/3.73) this gives you 536. Now multiply 536 by your new gear ratio (536x4.10) this equals 2197. See just a few hundred RPM differance. If anyone is still in doubt play around with gear calculator.
http://www.corral.net/tech/gearcalc.html
Old 02-19-2006, 03:35 PM
hunter9s
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JD1969

ORIGINAL: hunter9s

I think you have made some good choices for your start of modding. I have the Diablo Predator Sport for tuning. I have the the other mods you have just a different brand. I have a 2002 GT. I have a manual tranny and went withthe 273rear and Im glad I did and at the end of this post you will understand why. I have underdrive pullys and this week I am ordering they new BBK combination 75mm plenium / throttle body. You save overle 50 dollars buying this as a kit. I am disabed, I owned a Plumbing and Heating company and I started having back trouble. After 3 surgeries I had to sell my company and I am SSD and I hate itI'm only 46. I do have another surgery in march I am praying this surgeon can fix me. Anyhow the point is I used my plumbing skills to make a Cold Air Intake of my own design. It took weeks to get it right but I think I am on to something. I did all my mods and saved the Diablo for last. I noticed a big differance once I got my CAI the way I wanted it. I just wish that someone from this forum could be here to validate all I have done. Without the Diablo I had to watch or it would break loose in 1st and a little in 2nd and just ran awesome. Then I put the Diablo on HOLY COW that car really woke up. I am going to get it dynoed after the 75mm plenium and TB. Right now that car is just flat out fun to drive with the 273s I think the 410s would have been the wrong choice. As torqiie as this car is now I don't think you would be able to keep the car hooked up. On a damp road the other day I wasn't really driving that hard and it broke loose in 3rd gear! So again 273 it a good choice if you are going to mod it up anymore

Steve
373 NOT 273 HAD A BRAIN FART
I really hope you mean 3.73's and that 2.73 was just a typo. I agree that more gear will make a car slightly harder to hook up but thats just part of building a good all around performer. As for highway RPM I still do not understand how people can argue with basic math? The formula proves my point. Lets see if I can type this so it makes sence. Take your current rpm at a givin speed (lets use 2000 rpm at 60 mph for example) and divide the rpm by your current gear ratio (2000/3.73) this gives you 536. Now multiply 536 by your new gear ratio (536x4.10) this equals 2197. See just a few hundred RPM differance. If anyone is still in doubt play around with gear calculator.
http://www.corral.net/tech/gearcalc.html
Old 02-19-2006, 03:42 PM
TBird232ci
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Smooth_J

Also, whats the max MPH you can go with 4.10s/3.73s?
Who cares? Youll never find your max speed.
Old 02-19-2006, 03:58 PM
hunter9s
1st Gear Member

JD and some of these other guys are right. I don't care how you look at it if you run 410s a diablo tuner there is no way you will get as good of gas mileage as a stock setup. Thats where you have to make a decision, Im not worried about MPg or I am not. A guy asked me or posted how much trouble is it to change your tune on a Diablo because he had some long road trips he had to make. I told him about 45 min. You have to pull the Predator program out then reload the factory stock one. I never thought about it but that could actually could be a selling point for Diablo. I look at it as I am building this car up to be fast Period. Its not a daily driver. And with my disabled condition this give me something to occupy my time.

good luck in all you do.
Old 02-19-2006, 05:53 PM
waxyourboard
3rd Gear Member

I dunno about the new edge cars, but on my '94 AOD I cruise at 2k rpm at 80 mph. The 5.0's are definitely torquey, but not that torquey, personally I wouldn't mind a little more torque multiplication and a little higher RPM on the expressway