General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Turns out mustangs are bad track cars

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 12:57 AM
03YellowPony
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Turns out mustangs are bad track cars

ORIGINAL: StreetRod Steve

That's one heck of a running horse. How would you ride it?
LOL..it's a V6 pony...
Old 02-22-2006, 01:44 AM
carcrazy
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 03YellowPony

ORIGINAL: StreetRod Steve

That's one heck of a running horse. How would you ride it?
LOL..it's a V6 pony...
What mising it lower end?
Old 02-22-2006, 02:50 AM
waxyourboard
3rd Gear Member

WTF?? Better do some research. Not all FWD cars have independant rear suspension. My old Accord didn't and my old Cavalier didn't. And my 91 Grand Am certainly doesn't...
Woah, sorry buddy. I really didn't think to look up the rear suspension on old fwd cars. The truth is, almost (read: all) modern FWD cars have an independant rear suspension. Still doesn't change what i said
Old 02-22-2006, 03:44 AM
Bullitthead
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Not at all!

An IRS is not necessary for a "Track car". An IRS is designed to keep both wheels planted over rough or uneven pavement. If you're "Road Racing" (i.e. racing on public roads) as is very popular in Europe, an IRS is essential for good handling. On flat, paved modern racetracks however, an IRS may actually be at a disadvantage due to the extra weight and it's relative fragility when compared to a stick axle. Just look at how the new factory built '05 Mustang GT Grand Am race cars did this year. They swept the top positions in their first race (against BMW's, Nissans, etc.) and did so well that they incurred a 100lb weight penalty for future races! They still managed to win the season Championship, however...

Mustangs are fine track cars! However, if you want a pure "Track" car, buy a Miata, an S2000, a Mini Cooper, etc., spend a few K in mods and you'll have just the car you want...
Old 02-22-2006, 07:57 AM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

ORIGINAL: carcrazy

The c5 Corvette's have live rear axles, and leaf springs.

Leaf springs - http://www.westcoastcorvette.com/sho..._cat.cfm?id=87

10th line down - http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...te/index1.html

Wonder if they are gunna say it cant hang?
Vettes have IRS, which is not a live axel, they might (depending on the year) have a single transverse leaf spring.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:25 PM
Tim37
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: waxyourboard

ORIGINAL: XxphantomsnypzxX

true, not sure how great IRS is for track? maybe someone could help me by explaining which is better etc of suspensions on a track
There's basically two types of rear suspension you can have... Live Axle, or IRS (Independant Rear Suspension). All FWD cars have IRS obviously, because they don't need to put any power to the ground from the rear wheels.

Most RWD cars have a live axle suspension, and yes, it is better in a straight line. But with the right suspension setup and multi-link setups, they can be made to handle almost as well as an IRS car
WTF?? Better do some research. Not all FWD cars have independant rear suspension. My old Accord didn't and my old Cavalier didn't. And my 91 Grand Am certainly doesn't...
thanks yellow i almost fell out of my chair when i read that post.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:52 PM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

Just about any car can be made into an effective 'track' car. "Mustangs are bad track cars" lmfao. Tell that to Scott Maxwell.
Old 02-24-2006, 03:11 PM
Deannostang
3rd Gear Member

It is all how you set up your suspension for the type of driving you are going to do. Did you ever hear of a Steeda 5-point rear suspension? Changes everything! New upper and lower performance control arms will also help quite a bit among many other such stabilizing parts available.
Old 02-26-2006, 05:21 AM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Not at all!

ORIGINAL: Bullitthead

An IRS is not necessary for a "Track car". An IRS is designed to keep both wheels planted over rough or uneven pavement. If you're "Road Racing" (i.e. racing on public roads) as is very popular in Europe, an IRS is essential for good handling. On flat, paved modern racetracks however, an IRS may actually be at a disadvantage due to the extra weight and it's relative fragility when compared to a stick axle. Just look at how the new factory built '05 Mustang GT Grand Am race cars did this year. They swept the top positions in their first race (against BMW's, Nissans, etc.) and did so well that they incurred a 100lb weight penalty for future races! They still managed to win the season Championship, however...

Mustangs are fine track cars! However, if you want a pure "Track" car, buy a Miata, an S2000, a Mini Cooper, etc., spend a few K in mods and you'll have just the car you want...
+1
Old 02-26-2008, 06:28 PM
QuikFox

if you like ford cars try a 1990 Thunderbird I had one for awhile and I will tell ya what I live in the country and on back roads and hills it stuck like glue right up to the point you crest a hill at high speeds and it leaves the ground. I have run many different makes and models of cars and none handled like that one

Quick Reply: Turns out mustangs are bad track cars