General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Basic Tuning for "Dummies"?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 12:05 PM
jjfrehe
1st Gear Member

Default Basic Tuning for "Dummies"?

Hey there - I just bought a 2003 GT convertible, and am having a great time with it. We already installed a Magnaflow catback and bought a Diablo Tuner. This weekend, Im installing a 85mm MAF and an Accufab TB/Plenum.

The primary issue Im concerned with is running too lean with these mods. Has anyone ever seen a basic "tutorial" regarding performiung basic tuning adjustments with a Diablo or SCT for that matter? Right now I simply have the "Diablo Tune" loaded up but would like to tweak it a bit this weekend.

Thanks for the help.
Old 02-23-2006, 04:14 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

Default RE: Basic Tuning for "Dummies"?

the predator is pretty safe. It won't let you do enough to REALLY hurt your engine.

That being said, you should ALWAYS exercise caution and make adjustments in small increments.

Play with it and have fun.....remember that most of the setting only take effect at WOT.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:41 PM
sandcracker21
4th Gear Member

i wouldnt be concerned too much with running lean

but if you want to be safe, then the pred. can be used to force the engine to run a little more rich

its a great tool, you can tweekvirtually anything
Old 02-23-2006, 07:50 PM
jjfrehe
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sandcracker21

but if you want to be safe, then the pred. can be used to force the engine to run a little more rich

What parameters would you adjust to "add fuel"?
Old 02-23-2006, 10:17 PM
03YellowPony
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jjfrehe

ORIGINAL: sandcracker21

What parameters would you adjust to "add fuel"?
I HIGHLY recommend you DO NOT adjust the air/fuel mix unless you have A:the experience, and B: the proper meters. It's real easy to mess it up.
Old 02-24-2006, 01:59 AM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

+1 - If you're worried about it being to lean - take it to someone that can dyno tune your car, which means basically they run a dyno and based on the dyno information they develop you a new tune for your car. That's goin to be the best bet for you really, especially if you're worried about running to lean... After I tuned my car for my FIPK K&N kit, I was told by SCT that it wasn't necessary to retune it for a TB/Plenum combo that i should be running a good mixture, as far as the MAF, I have no idea if it even needs to be retuned, but that Dyno tune will be able to tell you everything you need to know.
Old 02-24-2006, 02:58 PM
Deannostang
3rd Gear Member

The new SCT X-Calibrator V2 is supposed to be one of the best on the market and absolutely gives you the most overall adjustments of any calibrator on the market. If you are a really concerned, modified Mustang GT/Cobra owner, give yourself a treat and get a dyno tune. Still no substitute for using such hi-buck equipment to dial your Mustang into its total maximum potential. Not all areas have a dyno near by but it is worth the trip if you ever get the chance.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:20 AM
Trakpak

Is there anyone in this forum that isn't an expert? Answer the mans question. If he wanted all that added opinion he would have asked for it.
Old 12-13-2008, 11:29 PM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

If you're trying to tune it well yourself I would suggest buying a cheap wideband o2 controller. Summit sells a kit that uses the lc1 controller with a summit digital gauge which can datalog if a computer is connected (will not log without it). You can also find an aem 6in1 on ebay fairly cheap. Both are going to run you about $250 shipped & I've had no problem with either. It won't be able to give you a dyno #, but it can help you get your fuel curve down.
Toying around with lean condition at low or moderate load is ok (like cruising & light acceleration) How much you lean it out should depend on whether you care about emissions or fuel economy, you can't have both. For max fuel economy you want to run as lean as possible, when the car starts surging from being too lean back off a couple points. (most cars will start surging in the 16's:1) For emissions staying around 14.7 is best in most cases.
As for heavy load & wot. You don't want to play around with running lean there, while it's ok to do it at low load at wot or heavy load there is enough air/fuel to generate alot more heat which can ramp up temperatures very high causing parts to melt (literally). So until you get a wideband controller for your car or a dyno I would recommend not playing with it in high load. An egt gauge will work but they're not as responsive & you'll want to have a baseline to go off of.