Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Automatic in 3,2,1

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 11:00 PM
sicko6
1st Gear Member

Default Automatic in 3,2,1

So, at 500 miles I've taken to varying the speed and mixing it up on the Steptronic tranny to break her in appropriate but notice that when I put her in 3rd gear she seems to stay in 3rd even if I stop and then start again. Maybe I'm missing the obvious but I just assumed that even if I put her in 3rd she'd still automatically down-shift through 2 and 1.

So, I tried driving at about 30 m.p.h. in 3rd and came to a complete stop and then started again in the same gear and she wasn't quite bogging out but almost so I put it into 2nd and I heard a hard, ugly clunk and it down-shifted.

any thoughts?

Old 03-09-2006, 11:22 PM
ren274u
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Automatic in 3,2,1

it is what it is. 3rd is 3rd 2nd is 2nd 1st is 1st. Some cars do what you expected but not these.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:26 PM
one_focused_svt
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ren274u

it is what it is. 3rd is 3rd 2nd is 2nd 1st is 1st. Some cars do what you expected but not these.
Whhhhaaaaat??? I think my I.Q. just dropped a few points after reading this, what in Gods' name are you talking about?!
Old 03-09-2006, 11:38 PM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

Ummm... Didn't think a factory GT came with a manual valve body.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:39 PM
The Ghost
3rd Gear Member

Locking in any gear other than first is not correct. Putting it in a lower gear simply means that is as high as it will shift. You need to take it in and have it looked at.
Old 03-10-2006, 12:56 PM
DROCKOFTX
2nd Gear Member

All of the new autos do this. I look at it as a good thing. Especially since with the Diablo tuner you can't lock the transmission in a gear to dyno since they have no line pressure adjustment. With this you can dyno in 3rd and don't have to worry about the tranny dropping down a gear when pulling hard on the dyno.
Old 03-10-2006, 01:04 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

the 05 i drove did this too, my 02 does it as well (well holds second) when you sport shift it also increases your preasure imbetween gears, while sport shifting my 02 V-6 auto i can chirp second.
Old 03-10-2006, 04:08 PM
The Ghost
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: DROCKOFTX

All of the new autos do this. I look at it as a good thing. Especially since with the Diablo tuner you can't lock the transmission in a gear to dyno since they have no line pressure adjustment. With this you can dyno in 3rd and don't have to worry about the tranny dropping down a gear when pulling hard on the dyno.
This is just not true. I have been on the Dyno with this car. We changed the shift points so it would get in to fourth at around 2500rpm (which is 1:1 ratio and the ONLY gear you should do a dyno pull in) and still had a hell of a time keeping it from downshifting. You cannot just put it in gear and pull from there. We had to tell it to lock the converter early to prevent this. And you absolutley can adjust line presure, shift points, torque converter lock-up, and down-shift range and rpm.
Old 03-13-2006, 09:48 AM
DROCKOFTX
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: The Ghost

ORIGINAL: DROCKOFTX

This is just not true. I have been on the Dyno with this car. We changed the shift points so it would get in to fourth at around 2500rpm (which is 1:1 ratio and the ONLY gear you should do a dyno pull in) and still had a hell of a time keeping it from downshifting. You cannot just put it in gear and pull from there. We had to tell it to lock the converter early to prevent this. And you absolutley can adjust line presure, shift points, torque converter lock-up, and down-shift range and rpm.
Ghost. You need to read the whole post. I stated with a Diablo Predator you can't make these adjustments. I know you can with an Xcalibrator like you have. If you can do it with a predator I would like to know how because I called Diablosport and they told me you can't do it with their unit. I know you should dyno in 1:1 ratio but it still gives me an accurate a/f reading wich is my primary concern when tuning on a dyno.
Old 03-13-2006, 10:43 PM
The Ghost
3rd Gear Member

I appologize. Yes, I should have read everything.

Quick Reply: Automatic in 3,2,1