Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Why do people sell their superchargers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 02:14 PM
aTm

Default Why do people sell their superchargers?

Hi all

I'll be buying my '06 GT soon, and I'm just curious as to why I've seen a few people offer their s/c's for sale to other members...

Are you guys unhappy with the systems, upgrading, or something else?

I just read a post by Chevykiller about him selling his Vortech ...and I've seen others selling s/c's that they've had for MAX what...a year and a half? So it just got me wondering.

I can easily justify spending the cash on the s/c, but since I've only ever had slow(ish) cars (98 V6 and I think my 70's 351c is kinda a dog), I would hate to be unhappy with it and end up selling it after I buy it.

It may also have to do with people's preferences though -- I plan on using my GT as a daily driver and keeping it for 4+ years...so perhaps a s/c isn't the best idea? I'm not sure, but would appreciate any opinions/suggestions.

Thanks!

Edit: Vortech, not Roushcharger (thanks Hawgman)
Old 03-10-2006, 02:55 PM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Why do people sell their superchargers?

I, like you am on the fence. Giving it serious consideration. Chevykiller is using his car for Drags constantly. As I recall he is building a new bulletproof engine for that sole purpose.
Old 03-10-2006, 04:04 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

Chevykiller isn't selling a Roushcharger. He has a Roush car with a Vortech on it, and is selling it to go with a KB setup on his new motor.

Most people sell because the perticular setup they bought doesn't do what they wanted it to do for the application they intended. That is how I got my Saleen for as little as I got it. The original owner bought it and put it on his car and then got in to road racing. After a couple of months he decided the Saleen twinscrew did not do what he wanted. So he yanked it off and sold it to me and is now going with a Vortech, tons of PSI, meth injection, etc.

Old 03-10-2006, 04:48 PM
Corpo
2nd Gear Member

can you use meth injection on a twin screw?
Old 03-10-2006, 06:52 PM
toolttime
2nd Gear Member

I 've read a few also where they are selling their vortech or procharger and wanting screw or roots typeinstead.
Old 03-10-2006, 06:59 PM
randy78045
6th Gear Member

like ive been thinking about what it would be like on my 408 to have a s/c... dont really know the gains vs the cost at this point... but it seems it would be a better choice over gas... [:-]
Old 03-10-2006, 08:07 PM
SVT99LEGEND
1st Gear Member

If you really want a Supercharger just be prepared to replace your motor pretty soon. If I were you guys I would get forged internals. Actually I was going to go that route till I found my 04 Cobra Vert on the lot brand new, and I actually got it for less then a 05 GT Vert they had just got in.
Old 03-10-2006, 09:20 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hawgman

Most people sell because the perticular setup they bought doesn't do what they wanted it to do for the application they intended. That is how I got my Saleen for as little as I got it. The original owner bought it and put it on his car and then got in to road racing. After a couple of months he decided the Saleen twinscrew did not do what he wanted. So he yanked it off and sold it to me and is now going with a Vortech, tons of PSI, meth injection, etc.

I agree, you need to do your homework and decide what you want to accomplish with your supercharger. Then find the one that best suits your needs. If you are gonna go for a full-out racing setup, then a KB or Vortech might be your best bet. If you're looking for a nice power upgrade for a drivable street machine, then the Roushcharger or Saleen series 6 might be more to your liking. And DEFINITELY........if you are planning on running mad boost or pumping your power output well above 400rwhp........build up your bottom end first (unless you have the funds lying around to rebuild your engine when it blows).
Think about how you will be driving your car and for what purpose. If you are gonna be racing regularly (street or otherwise) then you need to make your powertrain ready for it (clutch, driveshaft, engine internals, etc.). Better safe than sorry.
Above all else........just research all your options fully and ask lots of questions to ppl who are knowledgable about these supercharger setups.