Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Speaker sizes in new Gt's?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 08:58 PM
dreem363
1st Gear Member

Default Speaker sizes in new Gt's?

Hey everyone I am looking to upgrade my speakers on my new mustang. My car came with the Shaker 500 system. Does anyone know what speakers fit in the 2 front doors. I think there are 2 8" woofers on the doors. I think also that the back has 5x7" speakers. What other size speakers are in the front doors? Can anyone help me?
Old 03-11-2006, 09:41 PM
Scooter80
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Speaker sizes in new Gt's?

I haven't pulled 'em out to check and the service manual doesn't show sizes. But if you go to Crutchfield.com and input your car, they'll show you the speakers that will fit (some with minor mods). I can also scan in the service manual pages if you really want those for more of an idea. And If you call Crutchfield and they've done an install, they'll be more than happy to give you the direct-fit sizes.

Old 03-11-2006, 10:26 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

The doors are 5X7s also. But a 6X8 will fit there too.
Old 03-13-2006, 09:30 AM
Philostang
3rd Gear Member

Hey dreem,

The 5x7"s should fit fine. The rears are supposed to be 6x8"s, but 5x7"s can fit (at the most you'd need an adapter plate). The door speakers are (I believe) a 4x6" plate component set (small mid plus tweeter), but it's mounted to a plate/ring that mounts to the door shell. I'll include some pics that shows what I mean--in one you can see how small the plate components really are--plenty of room for a bigger speaker. At any rate, the OEM base stereo system runs the same speaker in the doors that are in your back shelf, so you won't have a problem with this size.

Best,
-j

[IMG]local://upfiles/28883/4EAFA3A703B84A5EAD1054F8A01A8DFA.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/28883/FBBC6B1BBB57475F98F86E307AEB40B9.jpg[/IMG]
Old 03-13-2006, 08:16 PM
dreem363
1st Gear Member

Philostang,

your interior pictures are bad ***! How did you get the MOMO Polk 8" woofer grilles without buying the actual speakers themselves? Where can I get those because I like the look.
Old 03-14-2006, 01:47 AM
Philostang
3rd Gear Member

Hey Thanks! I really like the way it came out.

There's another thread about speaker covers that just started--I was trying to explain (somewhat unsuccessful I think) that the MOMO woofers fit perfect--well almost. The screw spacing is a perfect match, you need different screws (sheetmetal screws with slimmer heads to clear the insets), so all you need to do for a rough fit is pull the stock speaker covers and install the Polk/MOMOs. The factory outer trim ring just pulls off with a good swift yank at the spots they clip into, and the inner grill has to be first unscrewed--the subwoofer won't fall out, it's screwed in the back into the door panel--then you have to peel it off of the metal of the sub itself (it's glued on with a moderate strength adhesive, nothing a slim screwdriver working around the edge can't handle).

They're available at Crutchfield, etc. for about $20 each. I got my first few (wrong size the first time--don't ask, brain malfunction) from a pawnshop/resale for dirt cheap just to see if it would all work.

One downside: the factory outer trim ring is tapered to fit the door panel (the sub isn't mounted flush/parallel to the door panel). So that means when you install the Polk grill you will have a gap that needs to be made up. It's often not noticeable, but it is significant, so I plan to fill in the existing Polk grill to follow the stock lines--that's going to take some plastic-fab work, but nothing too voodoo. I'll also decide at that time if I want to keep it silver or repaint it charcoal to match the interior. Any thoughts on color?

Best,
-j
Old 03-14-2006, 07:19 AM
Scooter80
2nd Gear Member

Philo,
I think the silver looks perfect with the interior upgrade package. Leave 'em!
Still thinking about the trunk too. I'll get back to you either way.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:42 PM
Drivesthebeast
2nd Gear Member

I took your advice, and checked on places like Crutchfield...Either a 5x7 or 6x8 will fit in the front door for the mid and tweet (depending on brand and basket desugn), or you can use a 5.25" component set on a 5x7 adapter plate. You can basically do any of the three on the rear deck, but I'd likely stay with the 6x8's, so that way you still get some bass from the trunk with just the speakers.

Originally I thought that the subs in the Shaker 500 were a 7" or something odd sized like that, but I guess certain 8" subs will fit, provided you get ones that are shallow mount, etc.

Thanks for the info!

L8tz
Old 03-19-2007, 02:12 AM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

I put Sony 6x8 2 ways in both front and rear of my '06 'vert. They were direct bolt ins. By the way, big improvment.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:26 AM
owero01
5th Gear Member

I don't plan to replace the speakers. A friend replaced his head unit with an Alpine unit and he said the sound from the stock speakers were improved by 200%.

Quick Reply: Speaker sizes in new Gt's?