Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Need Help -- Learning to Tune

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 01:09 AM
GGIII
3rd Gear Member

Default Need Help -- Learning to Tune

Yeah, so I have access to my local chassic dyno and my Diablo.

I'd like to learn the fundamentals of tuning, so that I can play around with my Diablo on their dyno ($75/h) and pull some extra power out of my setup.

Anyone have any good links for me?

Am I just freakin retarded? Is it worth dropping another $50/h for their tuner to do it with my handheld? (Keeping handheld tune as long as I have a warranty.)
Old 03-17-2006, 01:43 AM
El Verdugo
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Need Help -- Learning to Tune

I would go here and read their forums
www.efi101.com

Also this book is great if you want to learn some more stuff regarding tuning.
http://tinyurl.com/ev8zh

This book was a great read, I highly recommend it.
Old 03-17-2006, 11:51 AM
chevykiller
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: GGIII

Yeah, so I have access to my local chassic dyno and my Diablo.

I'd like to learn the fundamentals of tuning, so that I can play around with my Diablo on their dyno ($75/h) and pull some extra power out of my setup.

Anyone have any good links for me?

Am I just freakin retarded? Is it worth dropping another $50/h for their tuner to do it with my handheld? (Keeping handheld tune as long as I have a warranty.)
I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND that you download some proven easy tunes from predator and play around marginally with them. Don't get crazy and start making major adjustments to a/f, timing, etc.. or you will regret it. A very expensive toy to play with IMO. BTW - most of the new mustangs I have seen blow have been on the dyno when they blew.
Old 03-17-2006, 12:00 PM
El Verdugo
1st Gear Member

He is true, as long as you are sure that your AFR are spot on you can get away with a little more advance in the timing. Nothing to agrreisve though if not those EGT will rise and that engine will go away.

Question, I was told that the Pedrator in itself is very conservative to the level it lets you change the settings only minimally?
This is to prevent the end user from damaging his/her engine.

I know it is not as radical and flexible as a full standalone like FAST, Excel, Autronics, etc which you can change every and any aspect of the EMS.
Old 03-17-2006, 03:13 PM
jbailer
3rd Gear Member

That was good advice. I'm enrolled in the EFI-101 class this May. I also have the same book you mentioned. I also have the book that is on the main page of EFI-101s web site. I've been tuning for a few years and the best thing I've learned is there is always more to learn. It doesn't take much for a little mistake to get very expensive. chevykiller is right, BE CAREFUL. I have lots of bucks invested in engine monitoring and am a firm believer in smalll cautious steps. What really kills me is all the so called experts out there that blow up engines on dynos. Granted some of it is not their fault. If you bring in a car that already has internal damage and is hanging on by a thread, the stress of the dyno can certainly send it over the edge. Pick a dyno shop carefully though. Better yet, monitor the engine for yourself and know when there is a problem.

As far as the actual tuning, the maps in the computers get more sophisticated all the time. Remember when adjusting air/fuel was done by bottoming out the adjustment screw on the carburator, backing it out 2.5-3 turns and then going by feel from there? Well, you should see the computer maps now for fuel and all of the variables involved. At one point it was fairly straight forward. You just enter a value based on the RPM to deliver the proper fuel. Not any more, the tables are much more complex. -Joe
Old 03-17-2006, 05:28 PM
GGIII
3rd Gear Member

The help is very much appreciated guys, thanks!