Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Horrible time at the dealership

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2006, 12:55 AM
GGIII
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Horrible time at the dealership

Sorry about your woes.

I never test-drove one.

I wrecked my 03, came out to father's truck one day after school to find the Mustang brochure and several lists of what cars were where. He said "Pick one" and we wen't to get it.

Best. Day. Ever.

My girl is jealous sometimes.
Old 03-18-2006, 01:32 AM
troystoy
1st Gear Member

Had similar experience. Was on the car lot looking at a new v6 mustang with a 5spd. and a salesman came over to talk to me. I asked how the power was with a 5spd. because a friend rented one with an automatic and said it seemed to "sluggish". The salesman said the 5spd would be about the same. I asked him if I could drive it ( and I had my 3yr old son with me ) to see for myself and he said "no, we want to keep the miles off of it for the person who buys it"! Thus, I called the dealership and talked with another salesman about this and he appoligized and invited me back. Needless to say I bought that car and that other salesman was now trying to be nice to me now. The best insult on him was when 5 months later I came back and traded that v6 in on a 05' GT convertible! So, he thought a 35 yr old guy with a 3yr old son was looking for a joy ride? His dumb *ss costed him 2 sales in 5 months. Ultimate revenge was he took our picture with my new Gt in the showroom! Gotta love it! Anyway, go find another salesman at that dealership and take it for another ride. I didn't think mine was very fast either untill I drove it home and drove it like I stold it and holly sh*t, get the rpm's up and hang on!
Old 03-18-2006, 11:29 AM
one_focused_svt
3rd Gear Member

hmmm, my sales guy showed me how easy it was to pull a burnout in a new GT, then told me he wanted to see how well I did one [sm=burnout.gif]
Old 03-19-2006, 12:31 AM
Newbreedgt05
3rd Gear Member

My dealer told me that if I didn't like the color of the car to just get it repainted. I just nodded and thought in my mind of how much of an idiot this guy was. Who the hell buys a new car and then has it repainted. I went back to that dealer a second time( bad decision) and they wouldn't even let me test drive the manual GT. I had to sit in the passenger seat as this sob drove the car. He had no clue how to drive an dam* manual. A ten year old kid could have driven the car better than him. There was no way I was going to buy that car after he destroyed the transmission. I left that dealership as fast as I could and never looked back! Ford needs to hire some competent dealers! The dealer I ended up buying my stang from was alright, even though he didn't know too much about the car. I just got ignored most of the time since they didn't think a 20 year old was going to buy a new mustang GT. It was pretty funny!
Old 03-19-2006, 01:52 AM
johnnyv8
4th Gear Member

im shopping for a new gt myself. I remeber when me and my friend were shopping around for his 350z and what idiots the salesmen were, they act like they knew nothing...

And as fair as the test drives goes; most of them dont want someone who might not buy the car and beat on it and the motor inst even broken in yet you know?

when my friend brough his Z, he took it on a easy test drive, nothing big; just to feel it out. then he sighned away and the dealer ship said; drive it for a week; its yours but if you dont like it; you dont have to keep it.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:11 AM
persistantthug
2nd Gear Member

Original poster said,

My audi S4 has 330hp and when the turbo kicks in it pulls hard (about as hard as a 03 stock cobra - I know because I test drove 2). However, on paper the mustang GT should run the same 1/4 times so why doesn't it feel like it?

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____

First, While The Mustang GT is great and I love it and all, it IS NOT as fast as an 03 Cobra, thats just kind of ridiculous. I mean if your tryin to get 03 cobra speed I think you are askin for a bit much and mabey you should wait till summer for the new Cobra, assuming you've got the bread.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:19 AM
persistantthug
2nd Gear Member

sicko6 said,

Funny how different things are in different places. I walked up to the dealership looking like the dirt-bag I usually look like and they didn't give a squirt, test drove them both times without a problem. I guess in S.F. Bay Area there are a lot of jeans and t-shirts with money, not that I'm one of them. My biggest problem was when I held for $27.8 against a $30G sticker and it took almost two weeks before they allowed me to use my credit union...........i had to threaten them with buying from another dealership.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________

Hi Sick06,

I too live in the Bay Area and I was just curious what you got and what you paid for your 06 (assuming you got an 06 GT). Like, did you get the deluxe or premium and what options.

Also, can you explain a bit when you intimated they wouldn't "allow" you to use your credit union.....I've never heard of anything like that before.

Thanks.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:26 AM
blackout
5th Gear Member

I didn't get on it at all considering I knew what the car was capable of and the salesman was kind of freaking me out. I ordered mine from another dealer and they delivered it to me.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:58 AM
UrS4
4th Gear Member

Thanks for the input guys,

persistantthug, I know the 05/06 GT is not as fast as the 03/04 cobra, they usually differ in the 1/4 by about .8sec or greater stock. I made that comment let you guys know how my car performs and what I am used to. I thought how the pull was similar when I drove the two cobras and I thought you guys would understand what I was talking about. Is my car on par with a cobra, nope! My car is power, wieght etc. on par with a stock GT, so I thought they would feel similar (FI vs NA aside).

I totally believe that the GT would be faster than a new S4 cabrio as stated earlier in this post, but I have driven those and my car is faster too. That car is 400+ lbs heavier and poorly geared compared to mine. Please believe me buys, I know where my car is in the food chain compared to others. I was just hoping for feedback so I when I go back to another Ford dealer I can have a better experience and have the peace of mind that I am making a good decision and that the GT will perform better than my current car outta the box and not need lots of $ just to equal it.
Old 03-21-2006, 02:18 PM
SonicStanGirl
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Newbreedgt05

My dealer told me that if I didn't like the color of the car to just get it repainted.

That is a crack up! When I was looking at a brand 1990 5.0 LX (way back when) the sales dude tried to steer me over to a V6 and said that he thought the car was "good for me" and said "besides you can always put a V8 in it later on". What a dork!

I came back a couple of days later and got a female sales person (I'm female) who was super laid back and let me take it on the freeway and actually told me to "punch it".

When buying my 2005 GT I was directed to stay in a 40 mph zone that is near a police station. That sucked...but I was sold on the car before I drove it anyway.

One thing I don't like is that the sales people always seem to turn ON every option in the car while they are driving it off the lot. I always had to turn OFF the AC and the stereo so I could really get a feel for the car. Then they stare at me like "what is this woman doing"? [:-]

Quick Reply: Horrible time at the dealership