Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Cleaning the Dashboard

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 06:38 PM
RetiredGeneral
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Cleaning the Dashboard

so there were a lot of comments on how to clean the dash... but since everyone seems to hate armor all, what do you use to protect it from sun damage?
Personally, mine is parked all day at work in an underground garage, but what about people who park outside? Do you just plan to replace the dash and top of the door panels every few years?
Old 03-21-2006, 08:24 PM
andyman
4th Gear Member

I just use a dry cloth and wipe the dust off... every once in a while i'll take a compressed air hose and blast the whole interior
Old 03-21-2006, 09:56 PM
Lucy2005
2nd Gear Member

I carry one of those compressed air cans, for cleaning the computer keyboard, and keep a microfiber towell in the console. Microfiber rocks! You might try some of the other armour all products, such as the leather cleaner. Might be milder on the dash.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:34 PM
Fade2Black

I actually use Pledge! It's cheap, smells great, no glare, and doesn't ruin the dash! I learned that from a detailing article in Road & Track dating back several years ago...and I've been using it ever since. Cool, huh?
Old 03-21-2006, 11:42 PM
blackout
5th Gear Member

Mine is just too clean. I keep nothing in my car unless it needs to be in there and I haven't had a problem with dust buildup. I have wiped it off with a towel once and that takes away any debris.
Old 03-22-2006, 04:22 PM
reelds9

ORIGINAL: RetiredGeneral

so there were a lot of comments on how to clean the dash... but since everyone seems to hate armor all, what do you use to protect it from sun damage?
Personally, mine is parked all day at work in an underground garage, but what about people who park outside? Do you just plan to replace the dash and top of the door panels every few years?
I would get one of those windshield visors that fold up into a nice small circle when not in use. I've used one in my previous car and it protects the interrior plus reduces the temp inside the car by like 10 degrees on a sunny day. I haven't bought one yet for my new Mustang, but I will.
Old 03-22-2006, 04:53 PM
jbailer
3rd Gear Member

Ron, that sounds very interesting. Where can you buy that stuff? I have always just used warm water on a lint free cloth. Works great, no issues but doesn't offer any protection. -Joe
ORIGINAL: Ron43

I use 303 Aerospace protectant. It doesn't leave residue that attracts dust and it provides protection against UV damage.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:38 PM
topless05GT
1st Gear Member

My routine - Swiffer for the loose dust, Griot's Interior cleaner to finish... well, I actually never wait long enough for dust to actually build up...
Old 03-22-2006, 08:03 PM
antiv6
5th Gear Member

ive used armoral whipes and then whiped it dry with a lint free cloth, turns out great
Old 03-22-2006, 08:08 PM
millergt
1st Gear Member

I belive most good car manufactures are using materials on the dash and interior that are not AS effected by the sun as were pre mid 90's cars. Also the glass put in cars has UV blockers built in from the factory. I do the damp cloth cleaning and it seems to work fine. I've got a 99 Ford truck that is too big to fit in the garage so it sits outside everyday. In seven years it has shown zero signs of cracking or aging. The other thing is most dashboards don't get wrapped in material like vinyl or leathers anymore. This helps a lot.

Here is another vote for not using Armoral.

Quick Reply: Cleaning the Dashboard