Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

?tire size type??TIRE PRESSURE

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 02:10 AM
Vidgomd
2nd Gear Member

Default ?tire size type??TIRE PRESSURE

people with 18x9.5 wheels what are you running

im going to order 18x9.5 wheels but not sure on the tire size..

i see tirerack says 255/45/18 front
and rear 285/40/18

but i have also seen people in the rear are putting 285/35/18 what would you put on the front in that case.. also what looks feels and performs better.

what about BFG gforsce kdw 2
or nitto 555 ?? and why?

what about tire pressure on these tire sizes??? i never hear anyone mention that????
Old 03-22-2006, 01:46 AM
Vidgomd
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: ?tire size type??

come on guys some feedback/
Old 03-22-2006, 01:55 AM
Blk06GT

I'm running stock size Goodyear Eagle F1's. They perform great. They're the best handling tire that Goodyear makes. About 280 a piece, but great tires so long as you're not going to be using them in the snow. The rubber feels like a pencil eraser they're so soft.
Old 03-22-2006, 05:50 PM
Vidgomd
2nd Gear Member

no info?
Old 03-22-2006, 08:36 PM
BlackPhantomGT
1st Gear Member

Default RE: ?tire size type??TIRE PRESSURE

I've got the tire sizes you mention. I'm running the BFG gForce KDW NT and really like them. They are definately cheeper than some of the other brands. I like BFG and run them on most of my commercial fleet (truck tires that is). It seems no one really agrees to the tire pressure question. My tire installer inflated them to 32psi (I think they're rated for 51psi). Some say go with the factory rating on the door and others say the tire. Everyone has a different answer. which is it???

The 255/45/18 front and 285/40/18 rear are almost exactly the same height as stock about 27". Which is why tirerack.com probably recommends them. Anything different and you would need to tune the speedo. However, I have 18x9 and 18x10. Not sure about the 285's if 9.5" is adequate. They fit in the well nice. But it's borderline on whether there is a need to lower the car to get rid of the space. I like the agreesive look and can live without being able to rotate 'em. The ride is moderately harder than the stock tires and i would guess anything shorter would be more so. Plus there is no rim protection. With shorter tires you're more likely to damage the rim if you hit a pot hole or something too.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:53 PM
W1ldcat
3rd Gear Member

my stock 235/ZR50-18's say 32psi on the door jam and that's what I use..
Old 03-29-2008, 10:47 PM
HazardSports
2nd Gear Member

IGO WITH THE RATING ON THE TIRE. The rating on the door will always be lower as it is a trick the car manufacturers use to make the car seem to have a more expensive suspension setup. A softer pressure will absorb more road noise and bumps won't seem as dramatic. For better performance go with the TIRES! (but you will trade off some "comfort"; however, I prefer to feel some feedback through the steering wheel and seat - gives me a sensation of what the road surface is underneath me). FYI - when I go drifting (link below) I inflate to 50lbs front and back ! In fact I run 50lbs on the street too and NEVER get uneventreead, (and should - but don't rotate). 50lbs is a little much; but, I like to slide the car around a bit. If I was going for best GRIP I would probably be in the 36psi vicinity and tune it up or down from that point. But I'm sure MOST people would disagree with me !
Old 03-30-2008, 12:35 AM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: HazardSports

IGO WITH THE RATING ON THE TIRE. The rating on the door will always be lower as it is a trick the car manufacturers use to make the car seem to have a more expensive suspension setup. A softer pressure will absorb more road noise and bumps won't seem as dramatic. For better performance go with the TIRES! (but you will trade off some "comfort"; however, I prefer to feel some feedback through the steering wheel and seat - gives me a sensation of what the road surface is underneath me). FYI - when I go drifting (link below) I inflate to 50lbs front and back ! In fact I run 50lbs on the street too and NEVER get uneventreead, (and should - but don't rotate). 50lbs is a little much; but, I like to slide the car around a bit. If I was going for best GRIP I would probably be in the 36psi vicinity and tune it up or down from that point. But I'm sure MOST people would disagree with me !
The rating on the tire is ONLY the tires maximum capacity. No reason unless you are hauling a max load in the car, or want to sacrafice traction.

Blk06Gt Which F1's are you running? There are a few different F1's

35 to 38 F/R for the sizes you mentioned. And dont go with a 285/35/18.

Old 03-30-2008, 02:18 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I'm running Goodyear Eagle F1 Allseasons on my 18 x 9.5's. Had you used the search feature you'd find a lot of info on tire pressure.

Since one type of tire might"feel" well at the recommended 32 PSI and another won't, I typically begin at 32 and work up at 2 PSI increments (then back down at 1 PSI increments until I hone in on my preference) although I rarely exceed 36 PSI on the Stang. I liked my stock KDWS's at 33 PSI. My Eagles are at 34 and I'll try 36 soon but I suspect I'll go back to 33 or 34. It's a matter of preference.

And since your tire pressure will change about 1 PSI for every 10 degrees F ambient change, be sure you check your pressure carefully while experimenting.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:10 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

After a ride today I was just thinking. It's not a bad idea to run with a few extra pounds if you live in a pot hole prone city. Rims and tires aren't cheap!

Quick Reply: ?tire size type??TIRE PRESSURE