Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Serious Clutch Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 10:29 PM
kenrsr

Default Serious Clutch Question

I have a 2006 GT 5 speed. Had a knee replacement, left knee six weeks ago. The clutch seem really tight now shifting gears, I know alot of it is from operation. Drove my friend's 2001 vette the clutch was smooth and not hard to press in or out. Is there a aftermarket soft clutch or one that operates alot smoother than the stock one. Also getting ready to have the 4.10 gears install. Old man needs advice. Thanks
Old 04-03-2006, 02:01 PM
SonicStanGirl
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Serious Clutch Question

Hi there. My car has 6200 mi on it now and I have noticed a that the clutch pedal doesn't seem as hard to push in as it was when I first got it. Of course I could have just gotten used to it...but I swear it softened up some. Also, the shifter has gotten less tough to get into gears.

My two cents.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:05 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

Haha, my clutch is like pushing against paper... It's really soft. I test drove a 2003 Cobra, and that clutch you needed to put about 20lbs of pressure against it, I swear! I'm pretty sure there was SOMETHING wrong with it... Anyway, once I hopped back in my car I was like. "Holy ****."
Old 04-03-2006, 02:43 PM
hottymustang
2nd Gear Member

You know, my car has almost 27K on it, and my clutch is still so f-ing hard it hurts my knee if I am in stop and go traffic for too long. Kenrsr---I also have a hurt left knee, I ave torn ligaments and a torn ACL from a snowboarding accident.

We have a 05 S2000 and I would so love if that clutch could be in the Pony, it would make the commute so much easier *sighs*.

Lastly---I must give a shout-out to my fellow Chick Stanger---SonicStanGirl---What's up??? ha ha ha....
Old 04-03-2006, 02:54 PM
Menace
5th Gear Member

I did notice in stop and go traffic, when I'm holding down the clutch for like 5 minutes for the traffic to move... lol. Though that's when you just get smart, and put her in neutral. lol.
Old 04-03-2006, 03:20 PM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

It will loosen up some as you drive it. Sounds like it will be good therapy for your knee. (you clutch is now your physical therapist)
Old 04-03-2006, 04:08 PM
SonicStanGirl
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hottymustang

You know, my car has almost 27K on it, and my clutch is still so f-ing hard it hurts my knee if I am in stop and go traffic for too long. Kenrsr---I also have a hurt left knee, I ave torn ligaments and a torn ACL from a snowboarding accident.

We have a 05 S2000 and I would so love if that clutch could be in the Pony, it would make the commute so much easier *sighs*.

Lastly---I must give a shout-out to my fellow Chick Stanger---SonicStanGirl---What's up??? ha ha ha....
Hey there Hotty! How ya be? Ya know...I don't have a hurt knee but do have a sore spot in my low back so come to think of it...I think that is where the pain goes when my clutch leg gets tired. However, it isn't as tough as it was when I first got the car.

I do have to admit that I always bump it into neutral when at a light (and I'm not anticipating showing off and smoking away from the light as soon as it turns red). So. Cal traffic is terrible so we sure have to do whatever it takes to take the pressure off.

You guys/gals think of changing your seat angle a bit to change the angle of your knee/foot, etc. May be worth your while?
Old 04-03-2006, 08:43 PM
SonicStanGirl
2nd Gear Member

Here is another GT clutch question: If we have a hydralic clutch system and not a mechanical clutch system....where in the heck is the clutch fluid resevior?

I know my way around under the hood of my car and I haven't been able to find one. Someone clue me in please!
Old 04-03-2006, 09:07 PM
05ROUSHER
2nd Gear Member

Your clutch resv. is the the brake resv. I had to look for it to.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:51 PM
kenrsr

thanks guys and gals glad to know I am not the only one who thinks clutch is stiff. Wife said I could drive her F150 but I kinda hate tp release the GT to her since the last five speed she drove was a renault. I know it might good to work out knee but still a lot of pain in driving in Raleigh NC. Might take her up on it for a couple of weeks, wish me or her luck.

Quick Reply: Serious Clutch Question