Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Mustang GT Vs. Sti

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 05:02 PM
El Verdugo
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Mustang GT Vs. Sti

Subarus are Japanese, but they are no were nearly considered rice cars.
I guess the styling can be argued, to each its own.
The interior and the ergonomics of a subbie is leagues ahead from a Mustang. I am sorry though.
Old 04-03-2006, 05:18 PM
Stang Skeleton
3rd Gear Member

Im gonna have to say that they are considered rice. Dont see how they arent, they sound rice, look rice, small japanese engine etc. Anyway, they are definitely nice cars and fast, but quite frankly, they dont have nearly as much charisma or pride as stangs. The race would probably be a drivers race, but in the end, The stang looks and sounds better.
Old 04-03-2006, 05:34 PM
V8 Aggie
2nd Gear Member

ok c'mon guys... just because it is a 4-banger doesn't mean it is rice. Making a statement like that just makes you look like an ***. People prefer their power in different styles. Some like the muscle car way and others like the imports.

Rice.. well to me, is someone that buys a fuel economy car, goes to auto zone buys sponosorship sticker arrangments, puts a fart can on with the edition of LED's all over the place and revs their annoying engine at everything that moves. That my friend is a ricer.. not a 300 HP car... V8 or not
Old 04-03-2006, 05:34 PM
Burton9104
1st Gear Member

With a canned tune, intake, mufflers and suspension I raced an STI on the highway from a roll, about 75-140, i was side by side with him up until about 120, then slowly i pulled about a car length ahead. Come to find out after pulling over and tlaking to the individual he is a performance sales rep for subaru and the car is modified to 380-400hp. He was visually frustrated with the outcome of the race. He stated, " well at least you have a supercharger on that thing..." Ummmm no supercharger here buddy.... He got even more frustrated and said that he and subaru have been tuning the car for sometime and have never been made felt like a fool like this before. He could NOT believe that we were side-by-side. He told me the next day to come down to his dealership and he was going to give my mustang a wash and wax, for beating him!!!! SO my advice to others who want to race STI's, encounter them on the highway... and the outcome looks good....
Old 04-03-2006, 05:55 PM
drf
1st Gear Member

Granted, while the Suburu Sti, with it's native performance, is not nice, it can very easily be mistaken for rice .....
Old 04-03-2006, 06:01 PM
solutionsix

Default depends

My coworker has an STI (which is stock) and after driving it a few times I'd have to say that it would have the advantage in the lower gears, however once you got into the middle of 3rd or so I'd say the mustang would pull away.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:30 PM
Tik_Tok
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: V8 Aggie

Rice.. well to me, is someone that buys a fuel economy car, goes to auto zone buys sponosorship sticker arrangments, puts a fart can on with the edition of LED's all over the place and revs their annoying engine at everything that moves. That my friend is a ricer.. not a 300 HP car... V8 or not

+1

Old 04-03-2006, 07:34 PM
Sleeper05
5th Gear Member

i smoked the crap out of an 04 sti that was fairly stock except a couple boltons. i pulled well over two car lengths from 40-90. honestly, if you race from a roll it will be a LOT closer than most people seem to think, assuming stock vs stock.
Old 04-03-2006, 07:39 PM
MR.Mustang
2nd Gear Member

Here is my take on all this rice stuff... Rx-7's & Supras are not really rice unless they are all stickered up and all that. These cars are the Japanese versions of a muscle car.

STi's and Evo's are definately rice. They are factory rice because the car's base model is an economy car with 4doors. All they do is turbo charge the hell out of it. Granted, they handle well and have all-wheel drive but a just look at them, they're fugly. There is nothing desireable about the body styling.

Muscle cars are were it's at. As a youth, all I could dream about was a Muscle car. The mean look of a 70's Mustang or Cuda with a healthy Big Block V8 rumbling in the hood just made me think I need to have that. Muscle cars are cool and are for real guys, not the poser go-with-the-flow douche bag that buys any car that is latest trend. I have always loved Mustangs and Muscle cars and you get a certain kind of respect.

I could have choose an Evo or STi but I would feel like a flippin nerd driving around in a clown mobile. Everyone would think I am going to some hot import night show where guys stand around showing off their neon lights and blow off valves. I know I am going to cacth a lot flak for saying this but this is a Mustang forum and in my opinion there is no cooler car out there. Ford make cars for real American's that want to go fast and feel like a bad ***. That is how I feel in my Mustang; a bad *** *****. Thank you Ford!

Old 04-03-2006, 07:52 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

They're pretty fun cars to drive.........but only in small spurts. I test drove an 03 back a few years ago (before the new mustangs were unveiled) and I enjoyed it.........but it was too damn expensive for what it was. Plus, it does start to cramp your style once you've been behind the wheel for a while........not comfortable. But I wouldn't even consider one now...........mainly because I now have my GT. But also because the new ones are BUTT-UGLY. Don't know what Suburu was thinking. I guess their marketing geniuses were afraid the car was becoming too mainstream, so they figured they'd subtract some of its attractiveness to deal with that. Oh well.
As for a stock for stock race between an 05 STI WRX and an 05/06 GT.......hmm, I'd have to give the nod to the STI...unless the driver didn't know what he was doing. That AWD is nasty from a dead stop......and they've got pretty good pull from a roll.......although I think the STI would have trouble with the stang after 3rd gear. If you're considering it, I say at least wait until you've got a CAI and tune before trying. Throw some gears in and you should walk over a stock STI.

Quick Reply: Mustang GT Vs. Sti