Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Anyone heel-toe downshift?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 06:44 AM
OxSMSxO
2nd Gear Member

Default Anyone heel-toe downshift?

Obviously not necessarily viable for everyday driving, curious if anyone out their practices this other then the racetrack.
Old 04-05-2006, 08:23 AM
Lucy2005
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Anyone heel-toe downshift?

Downshift? Or do you mean launch?
Old 04-05-2006, 08:34 AM
mash2k
2nd Gear Member

Only on my way to work everyday. Never on the road course. j/k
Old 04-05-2006, 08:37 AM
Philostang
3rd Gear Member

Nope, he means downshift.

Andyman (in another thread) hooked us up with a nice link to a site that has a full compliment of shifting instructional vids.
http://www.standardshift.com/videos.html

Also, you might want to look that thread up (RE: It's time to start learning .... TEACH ME). A few of the ladies gave some good advice.

SMS, as you point out, there isn't much need for it off the track, but occassionaly I do it if there's an appropriate corner in my route and there's no traffic around. Otherwise, I sometimes do it just to practice (no returning to gear, just working on coordination): track days are coming up!!

Best,
-j
Old 04-05-2006, 02:53 PM
OxSMSxO
2nd Gear Member

About a year ago I went to Bondurant for the 3 day training session. Learned it there, was also the first time I drove stick for the most part. As I get my GT here any day I am looking forward to driving manual once again. Although the funnest place I can see to Heel-Toe downshift will be the freeway on ramps. Ones with a nice corner, but no light, only a yield sign
Old 04-05-2006, 02:56 PM
ultraclyde

yes, I do a good bit. Actually, with my big feet, it's more a left-side-of-foot, right-side-of-foot downshift. This car does not take natually to this procedure with the stock tune. The throttle lag always throws you off in timing. After my Xcal2, it's much MUCH better. I also frequently tap the gas to bring the revs up when downshifting, to match rpms coming in to the lower gear to minimize clutch wear and maximize smoothness. I always think it's cool to be able to drive a stick and be as smooth as an auto.
Old 04-05-2006, 07:29 PM
Kaldar142
4th Gear Member

i heel toe downshift on pretty much every downshift, i think its great for everday driving and it puts less wear on the car. and its just fun to do lol, it took me a while to get used to but i kept on pushing myself to keep doing and now its really easy
Old 04-05-2006, 08:11 PM
Tik_Tok
2nd Gear Member

I don't get it... maybe I've been driving standard the wrong way all these years (no one taught me but myself, so please educate me if I'm wrong here) but what's wrong with just plain downshifting without hitting your brakes?
Old 04-05-2006, 09:00 PM
Kaldar142
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Tik_Tok

I don't get it... maybe I've been driving standard the wrong way all these years (no one taught me but myself, so please educate me if I'm wrong here) but what's wrong with just plain downshifting without hitting your brakes?
nothing, its just so that you can get an easy downshift while applying the brakes. like normally how i would drive was when i was coming to a stop i would push the clutch give it a little gas downshift and let the clutch out so its smoother and easier on the car. but with heel toe downshift you can apply the brakes and do that at the same time
Old 04-05-2006, 09:00 PM
ThisBlood147
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Tik_Tok

lol. I don't know either. I think everybody who gets a stick just has to perfect every stickshifting technique and trick in the book. Don't ask me why. I've seen a number or threads for ppl to ask how to do this or that with a stickshift. Most of these techniques are relatively useless on the streets........ppl just like to do them to feel cool.

Ok everybody, now.............how many of you double clutch frequently?[8D] [sarcasm]

Quick Reply: Anyone heel-toe downshift?