Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Turbo/Supercharger prices

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 10:14 AM
GJP05
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Turbo/Supercharger prices

ORIGINAL: 1QuickShortBus

backinblack - The Saleen supercharger has excelent performance, contact JDM Engineering they are the Saleen supercharger experts. I know they have guys making 400rwhp on 4psi. The Saleen system is pretty pricey since you really need a good tune (Saleen's is VERY lean) and injectors at a minimum. To get a Saleen supercharged car to 450rwhp it takes about $6500 $1000 more than what a turbo kit costs and the turbo can make more power and the good turbos out there are getting full boost by 2900 rpms.
My car makes over 460rwhp and I didn't spend anywhere near $6500. You can still find good prices on the Saleen S/C and the supporting mods, you just have to shop around. The injectors are 39#'s and are the same as those on a stock 03-04 Cobra. The 90mm MAF is a Lightning MAF. Any CAI will work with the Saleen S/C. With 4psi, injectors, 90mm MAF, and a CAI you could make over 420rwhp with the Saleen S/C. The powerband for my S/C kicks in at about 3000rpms, not that far from the turbo's. If you already have an SCT XCal2, then all you need is JDM's tunes, pully, and belt and you'll have over 450rwhp.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:44 AM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: GJP05
My car makes over 460rwhp and I didn't spend anywhere near $6500. You can still find good prices on the Saleen S/C and the supporting mods, you just have to shop around. The injectors are 39#'s and are the same as those on a stock 03-04 Cobra. The 90mm MAF is a Lightning MAF. Any CAI will work with the Saleen S/C. With 4psi, injectors, 90mm MAF, and a CAI you could make over 420rwhp with the Saleen S/C. The powerband for my S/C kicks in at about 3000rpms, not that far from the turbo's. If you already have an SCT XCal2, then all you need is JDM's tunes, pully, and belt and you'll have over 450rwhp.
The Saleen supercharger doesn't come with injectors, they have to be purchased seperately. If you already have an XCal then the same arguement could be made for any of the systems, just get the tune put on your XCal and you're set.

Using JDM's reccomendations and prices to make 450rwhp:

Saleen SC $4795
SCT Xcal 2 programmer $395
JDM air kit $200
90 mm mass air $225
39# injectors $405
3.4 pulley and belt $245
C&L racers tube w/ bump boots $195
JDM motor mounts $185 (need for C&L tube)

That comes to $6645 not including shipping. Take out the C&L tube, the JDM CAI and motor mounts and you are still at $6065.

I'm not trying to argue which one is better, I just personally feel that for the hp a turbo is cheaper in the end because the kits typically come complete and have more flexability. I agree that the Saleen supercharger is an excellent system and makes great power. I have considered the Saleen, KB, Whipple and a few turbo kits. In the end I decided to go with a turbo, I just want to provide others with the information I have found.
Old 04-06-2006, 11:00 AM
GJP05
3rd Gear Member

You don't need to buy everything from Jim to get to those power levels. Like I said you can buy the injectors and MAF for less. I have been running the C&L without the motor mounts for over a year. The JDM airkit is just the filter at the end of the C&L tube, but if you buy the full C&L CAI then you don't need Jim's air kit. I am not trying to argue if one is better then the other just trying to dispel the myth that the Saleen is more expensive to get good HP out of.

Salenn S/C $4795( You can find this for less also but you won't get Jim's customer service.)
SCT and C&L Racers package $599(Brenspeed)
MAF and Injectors $200-250(search the boards for stock Cobra and Lightning parts)
3.4 Pully and belt $245
Dyno tune $300
total $6189 plus shipping and that setup will put you over 480rwhp(limited due to stock fuel pump).
Old 04-06-2006, 12:45 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: 1QuickShortBus
The Saleen supercharger doesn't come with injectors, they have to be purchased seperately. If you already have an XCal then the same arguement could be made for any of the systems, just get the tune put on your XCal and you're set.

Using JDM's reccomendations and prices to make 450rwhp:

Saleen SC $4795
SCT Xcal 2 programmer $395
JDM air kit $200
90 mm mass air $225
39# injectors $405
3.4 pulley and belt $245
C&L racers tube w/ bump boots $195
JDM motor mounts $185 (need for C&L tube)

That comes to $6645 not including shipping. Take out the C&L tube, the JDM CAI and motor mounts and you are still at $6065.

I'm not trying to argue which one is better, I just personally feel that for the hp a turbo is cheaper in the end because the kits typically come complete and have more flexability. I agree that the Saleen supercharger is an excellent system and makes great power. I have considered the Saleen, KB, Whipple and a few turbo kits. In the end I decided to go with a turbo, I just want to provide others with the information I have found.
First...I completely dig turbo setups. I got tired of waiting is the only reason I don't have one.
Having said that... $6600 is high. Shop around for some of the parts. For instance, I paid several hundred less than that for my Saleen SC ( closer to $4k ). I got a brand new 90mm Lightning MAF and sensor from buyfordracing.com for $79. My XCalII was only $325. Already had a Steeda CAI so apples to oranges on the air kit. The C&L race tube and motor mounts are not necessary.
At 4lbs boost ( stock Saleen pulley ) I was over 400. Upgraded to the 8lb pulley ( and yes, you can get the belt from a local shop cheaper than the $70 that they charge for it on the net ) and have seen over 450 to the wheels. Backed the timing down to 16 degrees and left it at 443.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:33 PM
adamante82

Thanks for all the replies.

Vortech looks like they have a good setup that is relatively light on the pocket book. I want my car to around around 400 rwhp due to longevity issues and the like. The Vortech kit comes with the injectors as stated already and doesn't need an intercooler at the low boost level. I'm looking into that to see how the price comes out.

1Quickshortbus- I'm going to look into the Turbos you posted earlier to see what they offer for 05 GT's. Thanks for the info.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:58 PM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

The problem with a centifugal supercharger is you won't make peak boost until peak rpm's you have to spin the motor pretty hard to see any boost which hurts longevity. Also, look into what I told you about Powerhouse, it's a good deal and I can't wait to get my car to them and then back.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:09 PM
Claytone
2nd Gear Member

I know its pretty much the same price as a supercharger, but to me Powerhouse has the best turbo setup for our cars. There GT is running mid-high 10s retaining stock clutch, longblock and tranny. I dunno, if I was gonna do turbo, I would go with them. But since I already dropped 600 on C&L=tuner I'm goin with a saleen supercharger. Just my two cents.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:32 PM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

Clayton, sell your C&L and see if Powerhouse will stick their tune on your XCal 2 if not sell it with the C&L and go with a turbo. I wouldn't let a few hundred dollars keep me from going the route I would prefer when talking about several thousand dollars.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:54 AM
turbostang21
5th Gear Member

im not going to get all mixed up in this...but i guarentee whoever keeps saying a turbo is cheaper than a sc does not have one on their car. i did a lot of fab work and all the installing and i still spent more than most big centri sc's. roots and twin screw have a nice tq curve that's good fun for the streets. but as far as drag racing is concerned....centri > roots/scew. this is fact not an opinion
Old 04-07-2006, 12:04 PM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

Well at $5500 for a very complete kit, I am going to have a Powerhouse Turbo kit on my car. I looked at all of the options and I am looking for a street car primarily so a big fat torque curve was a necessity. Oh and the kit will be on my car for an out of pocket expense of $5500 including installation (but that's because Powerhouse is giving free installation to a few people to test fitment). There are several mfgs coming out with bolt-on turbo kits for 05+ Stangs that will require little to no fabrication (this is why Powerhouse is checking their kit on a few cars before shipping). Also I know the GMS kit is supposed to be completely bolt-on.

Single turbo kits are going to run the same price as the KB and Whipple and a little cheaper to about the same price as a Saleen (depending on the deals you find) to make the same power. Centi is by far the cheapest, but at what sacrifice on the street? I don't disagree that for our cars a centri is better than a twin or roots for the dragstrip but most guys spend more time around 3k not 6k rpms on the street.

Quick Reply: Turbo/Supercharger prices