Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Got a P0340 CEL code what to do

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 05:09 PM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Daniel60
any updates on this I now too have the code. Ford said I have a bad ecm on memory and will not exchanged it because of my chip. it took five years to get this why? anyone?
Your chip? Do you mean your tune? Just flash it back and bring it in.
Old 09-27-2009, 05:51 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

I had permission from the dealership to install the other tune now like 75,000 miles later this is what happen. I took it in to ford and said it might be my alternator and they said , computer isn't keeping memory and charged me 99 dollars to look at it. $hit and I still don't have it fixed. They said they don't cover the ecm since I changed the parameters of the tune to adjust to the cold air kit.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:58 AM
06GTMustang
1st Gear Member

87,900 miles, 1 time from CA to TX, just told the wife how impressed I was that my car has been so great and worry free. coming home the other night and BAMM!!!!! pops this code. OOOOOOO well what do you do. Thanks for the help....
Old 02-11-2010, 06:16 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 06GTMustang
87,900 miles, 1 time from CA to TX, just told the wife how impressed I was that my car has been so great and worry free. coming home the other night and BAMM!!!!! pops this code. OOOOOOO well what do you do. Thanks for the help....
Gosh Guy I hate to bring bad news but that is an alternator problem. I know mine was replaced fortunate for me it was cover on my extended warranty.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:24 PM
06GTMustang
1st Gear Member

Well cleared the code and my car still runs like a champ. No problems, volts are fine, engine runs great, scanner says everything is running like it's supposed to.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:27 PM
SCCAGT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rallek
I am currently having the same issue with my car. I pulled error codes P0340 & P0344.
I plan on leaving my UD Pullies and K&N CIA on the car, but flashing SCT back to stock.

Did the dealership fix the issue?

Does Ford honor TSBs even if the warrenty is gone? I have 54k on my car.
TSB's are merely communications from manufacturers to repair facilities concerning possible problems and their solutions. Occasionally, a manufacturer will extend time/mileage warranty limitations for certain items. However, never assume a TSB=free fix. After warranty expiration (unless explicitly stated in the TSB), recalls are the only thing thats free to the car owners.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:00 AM
DStang05
2nd Gear Member

It's the alternator with these codes. I even changed the cam position sensor,both of them before I changed my alternator. I started getting the codes, then my car starting dying if I didn't drive it everyday. Fixed the Alt. and it all went away.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:53 AM
sailing220
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by CrimeScene

I am not putting any modding down,heck I plan to do it but I am going to ask my dealer first and find out if it will or not,if it needs to be installed by them fine I will pay the xtra cash,if they say no I will wait till the warrenty runs out,part of the cost of the car is the warrenty,it's your money do what you want to do.
Good luck getting any worthwhile mods done. You will pay 5x the amount of money trying to get a dealer to install/warranty your aftermarket mods, and they will probably F up the install anyway.

Most dealers don't mind a few minor mods as they realize that your aftermarket exhaust did not cause your alternator to fail. They won't say "hmmm aftermarket mods...no warranty" because they can't. They need to prove that the aftermarket part caused the failure before they can void the warranty, and they can't void your ENTIRE warranty even it if did cause a failure. They just can't warranty the part that the aftermarket part caused to fail.

I think that some people are just a little paranoid about mods....
Old 02-25-2010, 11:35 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Originally Posted by CrimeScene
Does "You screwed yourself out of a warrenty fix" mean anything,I seen a few post that people have said Ford will know you flashed or changed stuff in your computer no matter what you do,be a bummer if something major and they won't cover it becuse of a few minor mods,you may have just voided any engine warrenty you have now.

Hope not.

CrimeScene
LOOK IN A MIRROR, SEE A DUMBASS?

Ford has no way of knowing the flash history
of the PCM unless they do it and document it.
The few that say so are dead wrong.
Period.
He did not screw himself.
His warranty is as good as the day it was sold new.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:43 PM
2k05gt
4th Gear Member

Wow, I started this thread 4 years ago...

Anyway, The Dealer did give me a hard time about the Mods and said they would charge me for diagnostic time if I left the Mods on the car, If I removed them then they could properly diagnose the issue, So I did.. They did replace the Alternator but that did not fix it, it turned out to be a bad phaser Gear and the dealer covered it under warranty.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Got a P0340 CEL code what to do