Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

6-Spd Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 10:47 AM
XLeatherNeck
1st Gear Member

Default 6-Spd Transmission

Has anyone replaced the stock 5-spd with a 6-spd transmission?

What HP levels can the stock 5-spd withstand?
Old 04-08-2006, 11:58 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 6-Spd Transmission

I have been researching this fairly extensively.

A 6-speed swap can be performed, and it requires the following parts:

1. The transmission, of course. Generally it is a T-56. However, it has to have a modified shifter assembly in order to be compatible with the '05-'06 Stang. The best choice is a T-56 from a Viper. Those are the strongest available. The next best is one from an 03-04 Cobra.

2. An adapter that allows the use of the stock hydraulic throwout bearing for the clutch

3. A custom tranmission crossmember

4. A new rear drive shaft (different length, and a standard "yoke" connection to the trans rather than the "plate" style used on the stock trans.)

Generally, a tranmission is rated by the peak torque that it can withstand. If I remember correctly, the stock 5-speed is rated for 390 ft-lb of torque. Of course, this is a matter of durability and not a hard-and-fast rule. If you exceed 390 but only moderatley, the transmission is not going to explode, but its lifetime is going to be reduced--it will wear out faster. Of course, if you exceed the 390 by too much and BAM.
Old 04-10-2006, 02:36 PM
RetiredGeneral
2nd Gear Member

Isn't the GT500 supposed to have the 6-speed? If that's the case, all the necessary conversion parts will be available from Ford...
Old 04-10-2006, 03:38 PM
pottsi

bashperformance also puts a six speed in their car, so they could help you out too.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:54 AM
CrazyAl
5th Gear Member

Yes, the GT500 has the 6-speed. But, there are some issues:

1. The parts are not available right now, so at best you'd have to wait.
2. The GT500 transmission is special (it has the special shifter provision). So, even it does become available from ford, I would expect it to be extremely expensive. Keep in mind that you can get a fully rebuilt late-model Cobra trans with many upgraded parts for under $2K.
3. The throwout bearing adapter may not be available from ford. It may be that the GT500-spec 6 Speed has this built into the transmission.

As a side note, you can install the 6-speed parts from the C500R Racing mustang, which are available now. In fact, Ford sells the parts specifically for doing a 6-speed swap. If I remember right, the crossmember is about $400, but the transmission is $14,000. No, not a typo. FOURTEEN grand.

There are several aftermarket companies that are working on the 6-speed swaps. D&D performance quoted me $3500 for the whole package: Rebuilt and upgraded Cobra Trans with shifter and all new shifter adapter parts, driveshaft, crossmember, and throwout unit. If you want the same package with the Viper trans instead it's about $5000. The Viper trans has different ratios and is more heavy duty. It has larger input and output shafts and thus can handle more torque. I also talked to D&D about putting together a hybrid trans that hs the Cobra "low gear" cluster (1st through 4th) yet has the 5th and 6th from the Viper. The Viper 5th/6th are very low: .72 and .5 respectively. If you combined that combination with some really low rear-end gears, say, 4.30's, then you'd have killer acceleration, but your top overdrive (6th) would actually be slightly taller than the stock 5-speed with stock 3.55s. You'd have BETTER highway mileage than a stock GT, and you'd have some serious acceleration in between. They quoted me a rough estimate of $500 extra for making the "hybrid" trans using the Viper 5th/6th gears.

Old 04-11-2006, 09:47 AM
XLeatherNeck
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the information gentlemen.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:01 AM
jvitas

A tech from FRPP told me that the GT500 6 speed will not fit the Mustang GT. He stated that the shifter would come up where the radio is. I suspect that the blocks are laid out differently. The GT500 uses the iron block from the F150.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:10 AM
vsop
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CrazyAl

As a side note, you can install the 6-speed parts from the C500R Racing mustang, which are available now. In fact, Ford sells the parts specifically for doing a 6-speed swap. If I remember right, the crossmember is about $400, but the transmission is $14,000. No, not a typo. FOURTEEN grand.
I assume that its the sequential race tranny. Where you don't need to use the clutch to shift up. Also its a simple gear swap to change gears on them. You only use the clutch to down shift. They also have straight cut gears as an option for them. But you would not use straight cut in the street.

I'm probably going with a D&D t-56 viper spec Setup.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:26 AM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

You need to keep in mind that the GT500 tranny is not a T56 tranny.

Ping RoyB. He put a 6 speed in his S197. Not sure if he went with the T56 or the Viper. But I know he did it.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:38 AM
vsop
3rd Gear Member

gt-500 is the tr-6060, same as I think the z06 anf I think the next viper is going to use it as well

Quick Reply: 6-Spd Transmission