Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

overdrive

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 01:59 PM
05gtrules
1st Gear Member

Default overdrive

Hi all, this may be a dumb question, but what are the ideal driving conditions to enable or disable OD? or best always on or always off? the manual's description of the feature is quite lacking... thanks...
Old 04-12-2006, 02:33 PM
ren274u
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: overdrive

Just leave it on when driving, turn off when racing, and when you want your rpms higher for spirited driving.
Old 04-12-2006, 03:52 PM
dkano
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ren274u
Just leave it on when driving, turn off when racing, and when you want your rpms higher for spirited driving.
Exactly. My car feels completely different when I turn the overdrive off and start pushing it, the 3.90 gears made that difference even greater now! Next time I go to the track I'm going to try to do a couple of runs with overdrive on and then turn it off and do a couple of more runs, see what the difference would be.
Old 04-12-2006, 03:57 PM
05gtrules
1st Gear Member

[quote]ORIGINAL: dkano

hehe, I like spirited driving all the time, and like the feel with it off... is there any downside to leaving it off always besides decreased fuel efficiency?
Old 04-12-2006, 04:02 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

[quote]ORIGINAL: 05gtrules

ORIGINAL: dkano

hehe, I like spirited driving all the time, and like the feel with it off... is there any downside to leaving it off always besides decreased fuel efficiency?
Nope, none. The OD was developed for those specific reasons, cruising and MPG
Old 04-12-2006, 04:57 PM
ren274u
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dkano

Exactly. My car feels completely different when I turn the overdrive off and start pushing it, the 3.90 gears made that difference even greater now! Next time I go to the track I'm going to try to do a couple of runs with overdrive on and then turn it off and do a couple of more runs, see what the difference would be.
Technically we can leave od on at the strip, turning it off does nothing but stop the car from shifting into 5th. We never pass 4th gear anyway so.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:59 PM
Stang Skeleton
3rd Gear Member

Also, overdrive is a good opiton to have if you are considering gears, you can obtain a pretty good gear to rpm ratio with the OD.
Old 04-12-2006, 09:09 PM
93BlackNotch
2nd Gear Member

The transmission is computer controlled to shift at the optimum points... Shifting manually, and hitting the OD switch will do nothing for your times... You're best bet is to leave it in D with the OD on....
Old 04-12-2006, 09:14 PM
Stang Skeleton
3rd Gear Member

Yes, it is computer controlled, but who controls the computer? well if you have a tuner, well then you do. So you decide where the shift pts etc are.
Old 04-13-2006, 12:04 AM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

lol with overdrive on you use 5th... with it off you dont use 5th

lol in the case of races and downshifting... when throtle pressure over comes governer pressure your car downshifts. as you rev out governer pressure then over comes throtle pressure and shifts. then it does it over untill you run out of gears.. whether its on or off is irrelevant.. you can be in 5th hit the throtle to the floor, it could downshift to 3rd then do its thing as you rev out through each gear... overdrive off... your in 4th gear with an initial higher rpm at the same speed you were in 5th, you pin the throtle it downshifts to 3rd and it does its thing back to 4th.. except over drive is off.. so youll just rev out in 4th gear... oeverdrive on or off doesnt change yuor gearing.. so in no way it would make a difference if your racing or not

Quick Reply: overdrive